1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using Stats Gamecast during college football/basketball games

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by nickpugliese, Feb 5, 2013.

1. nickpugliese

nickpugliese New Member

We are exploring methods to improve our in-game blogs during college basketball and football seasons and wonder how many of you are using Stats Gamecast - or something similar -- while covering games.

If so, what kind of numbers are you getting, traffic-wise as well as time on site? Has it been improvement over the usual game blog? Have you monetized it?

Thanks!

2. writingump

writingump Member

Just hope you never have to utilize Sidearm Sports to keep up with a game. Was working on a 150-200 word file for Hampton at Morgan State Saturday for Sports Xchange. It never updated after the 9:45 mark of the second half, forcing me to rely on Twitter updates until time expired and Hampton won on a tip-in.

3. sprtswrtr10

sprtswrtr10 Member

I use it, but only to keep myself up to date.

I miss plays because I'm doing so much writing during the game: for a scene story that goes with our coverage, on twitter passing along observations and insights, but therefore missing some of the plays that might provide further observation and insight. It's just nice to have, in essence, a game-book-in-progress at your disposal. It's also good to use for basketball rewrites from road games we do not travel to or the wire does not cover for us, especially on deadline

But I'm curious how you might use it beyond that. Is your point that you can offer stats that are up-to-date when real-time blogging? I mean, that's certainly helpful, but seems pretty common sense. I'm wondering if you guys are looking into something that I'm just not grasping right now.

Draft saved Draft deleted