1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using rape victim's names

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Drip, Jul 19, 2012.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

I have a huge issue with this. It's OK to name the accused, even when the accusation is made up, but it's still not OK to name the accuser?

I mean, I understand the implications of rape accusations and all. But this strikes me as ridiculously unfair. And it also strikes me that declining to name the accuser based on privacy grounds would imply a degree of prejudice against the accused.

If you wanted to say that neither side is named until after a trial, I'd be fine with that. There's a lot of that sort of thing that bugs me: It's not unheard of for an acquittal story to be accompanied by a booking mugshot.

2. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

With the apostrophe use in the thread title, I'm just wondering how many names this victim has.

3. beanpole

beanpole Member

When was Desiree Washington identified? I remember that she was, but not the details.

The rape was 7/19/91; Tyson's trial as Jan. 26-Feb. 10 the following year. Washington was interviewed by Barbara Walters on 2/21/92. Was she identified before then? I really don't recall, but she was certainly fair game to have her name used once she appeared on ABC.

Draft saved Draft deleted