1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using MySpace to contact players?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Eagleboy, May 26, 2007.

1. Leo's right. (I'm young.) I don't know any young person who'd think a reporter was creepy for sending them a Facebook message. Many, also, have read those post-VT tragedy stories (and others) in which posts on Facebook group "walls" are quoted at length. They know reporters are there and looking.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

now let's get you on record. [/oneofmyfavoritequotes]

3. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

I have a lot of the athletes I cover on my Facebook contact list, and often times I get faster answers there than I would trying to track them down other ways. I don't think any of them think I'm creepy either — but then, I'm young enough that Facebook, MSN, and such are common for people my age. I do wonder if someone who is 50 would have the same success and comfort level as I do.

4. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

Honestly it is very hard to get a kids to focus on one task at a time and sportwriters contacting them on myspace is a distraction they or the parents don't need.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Why do you post here? seriously? I hope your parents disconnect the computer tomorrow.

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A friend of mine who is a cityside reporter at my paper uses MySpace and Facebook when researching subjects for stories.

7. indiansnetwork

Glad to see you are having a fine day BYH. I am sure some children's homes need your happiness, the burn ward is a good place for you to start.

8. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

You're still wrong, network.

9. indiansnetwork

Hi, glad to see that I didn't miss your comment.
    At least you commented on my opinion.

10. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Why would you have missed it?

11. indiansnetwork

Yea, I love you MertWindu, you keep me in check.

12. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Um, what?

Draft saved Draft deleted