1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

using my song for a political campaign

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by txsportsscribe, Jun 27, 2011.

1. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

doubt this has ever been dealt with at SportsJournalists.com but i figured it's as good a place as any to get some opinions. i've recorded and released a cd and have been working on a second project. the 1st cd is available through itunes, cd baby, etc.

someone connected to a national political campaign heard one of the new songs and is interested in pitching it to their higher-up as a tune they might want to use in some way for the campaign because they like the conservative slant. i'm not necessarily a supporter of this candidate and there wouldn't be any money in it for me but it could get the song (and me) some notice.

so would you give permission or not?

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

If it's a Gacy song, you're in with Bachmann

3. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i'll get started on that new john wayne gacy tribute song right away!

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think Insane Clown Posse is already booked for Bachmann.

5. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

If it's a Republican, I'm surprised they asked permission.

http://blogs.westword.com/backbeat/2010/06/top_ten_political_thefts_of_mu.php

http://www.npr.org/blogs/itsallpolitics/2011/06/27/137446872/maybe-michele-bachmann-checked-with-tom-petty-first

6. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

No money involved? F that. At least get something out of it.

7. dooley_womack1

And if the candidate has no chance to win, don't be hitched to that wagon.

8. westcoastvol

westcoastvol Active Member

Fair use=fair money. If they've got money to make the ads, if they've got money to run the ads, then they've got the money to pay you.

In the words of the great American Philosopher, Kenny Fucking Powers: "Pay me, bitch!"

9. ifilus

ifilus Well-Known Member

The Minnesota congresswoman played "American Girl" yesterday when she walked onstage at a rally, and Rolling Stone has confirmed reports that Petty's management team immediately sent the Bachmann campaign a cease and desist letter.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/tom-petty-tells-michele-bachmann-to-stop-playing-american-girl-20110628

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Don't know the song or the candidate, but I'd say you're nuts if you don't give them permission.

Publicity is worth a lot. If they use your song, they'll use it at every single event.

If it's catchy, they'll be humming and singing along. They'll also be looking up the musician behind it.

If the candidate does well, it will also get picked up in news programming.

I wouldn't let your feelings about the particular candidate influence your decision at all.

11. dooley_womack1

Yeah, I mean, having Lyndon Larouche's theme song helps you not at all. This is a case in which not all publicity would be good publicity

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Speaking of LaRouche, I haven't seen anyone campaign for him for the past few weeks. There was a table for his PAC out in front of the local post office.

Draft saved Draft deleted