1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Using a section name from another paper

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by forever_town, Apr 14, 2008.

1. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

No, I'm not talking about swiping Style from The Washington Post, though if it turns out to be something similar, I'll count myself as having had a learning experience.

Is there a problem with giving one of your newspaper sections a name that was formerly used by another paper?

For example, if I wanted to name my paper's opinion/editorial section Perspectives when The Baltimore Sun previously used Perspective (note no "s" at the end), would I risk getting sued for copyright infringement? A slap on the wrist? Or would I be doing nothing wrong?

I'd ask The Sun first before springing this on them or my readers. But if there's a problem with it, I won't even do it.

2. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I don't see how they could get you for using a word for your section. But I'm not that experienced, so don't trust me ;)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Our section is called "SPORTS".

No lawsuits yet.

4. forever_town

I know BTE. I was talking about naming my paper's opinion section "Perspectives."

5. spnited

spnited Active Member

Should not be a problem and there's no reason to tell the Sun about it.

6. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

I can think of at least two other papers that use "Perspective" as the name of their opinions section. You certainly will have no trouble using a variation thereof.

However, if you do choose to go with "Perspectives," you will evoke memories of Tim Meadows' clueless Sunday morning talk show host character on Saturday Night Live: "It's 4:30 in the a.m., I'm Lionel Osborne, and you're watching 'Perspectives.' "

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

The old SportsTicker should have slapped a cease order on ESPN, years ago.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Good morning! It’s Sunday, 4:52 in the A.M, and that means it's time for "Perspectives"! I’m your host, Lionel Osbourne.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

10. jimmydangles

jimmydangles Member

One week, we used the title of our rival's prep hockey column for a part of our regional prep hockey notebook. We're friendly, so no issue whatsoever from their side. But their readers raised hell on a message board: "You gonna let them get away with that," etc. Our editor just changed the name to avoid the issue.

11. forever_town

Yeah, but who watches Saturday Night Live anymore?

12. Dedo

Dedo Member

Lionel Osbourne : Terrific! [ Turns to camera ] If you’re joining us it’s 4:51 in the A.M and you’re watching "Perspectives". I’m Lionel Osbourne and we’re with community activist Abdul Kareem Gaines, founder of "The Brotherhood for Responsible Brothers who are Fathers". They’re celebrating their first anniversary this week, all are welcomed and their son is dead. [ Turns to guest ] Now you said that you were at the "Million Men March" right?

Abdul Kareem Gaines : Yes Lionel

Lionel Osbourne : How Many people were there?

Abdul Kareem Gaines : …A Million!

Lionel Osbourne : And um, this was mostly men?

Abdul Kareem Gaines : Yes… That’s why they call it the "Million Men March"!

Lionel Osbourne : Ah! Touché!

Abdul Kareem Gaines : Ah were you there? Lionel?

Lionel Osbourne : No…

Abdul Kareem Gaines : Why not?

Lionel Osbourne : I didn’t know about it… [ Ending music starts ] Well that’s all the time we have this morning. This has been "Perspectives." I’m Lionel Osbourne, I’d like to thank my guest Abdul Kareem Gaines, founder of "The Brotherhood for Responsible Brothers who are Fathers," for joining me. I’d like to let our loyal viewers know that next week, "Perspectives" will be on at 8’o’clock P.M. the first time ever we’re being broadcast in prime time [ Receives a note from studio crew member ] Fantastic! We’ll be on at our regular time of 4:42 in the A.M. This has been "Perspectives."

Draft saved Draft deleted