1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USFL

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jan 12, 2007.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Carolina Cougars.

The Condors played in Pittsburgh, albeit briefly, after the Pittsburgh Pipers, the first ABA champions, went to Minnesota to replace the Muskies, who ceased to exist after one season.

I actually saw two ABA games live, both involving the Virginia Squires.

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

The NFL had 28 teams during the USFL period. I know you weren't referring to me specifically, but I'll stick with my 25 percent theory.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Erk. Thanks for the heads-up.

My grandfather saw a lot of the Squires. Back in Erving's heydey, they were known popularly in town as "Dr. J and four guys from the Y"

4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Ouch. That hurts! ;D

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

When I was little, my father took me to the Island Garden to see the Nets of Rick Barry, Billy Paultz, Bill Melchionni and Ollie Tayor play. I don't remember much about it other than Taylor, who supposedly could pick a quarter off the top of the backboard (or so I was told) missed a dunk, and the ball bounced off the rim so hard it went out of bounds on the other end of the court. I can't even tell you who they were playing.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I read a story at one point about the ABA which stated that of the players on the opening-day rosters of the seven surviving ABA teams in October 1975, nearly half later played in the NBA, which was a much higher percentage than I would have guessed.

Which would mean that the average 6th man on an ABA team would be approximately as good as the 12th man on an NBA team.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Once the ABA pared down to those seven teams, it was much more legit than my 25 percent thing would suggest. But before that, it definitely wasn't.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

I attended only one USFL game and that's a Denver Gold vs. Boston Breakers game at Mile High. I was more into hockey (still am) and Denver Bears baseball (saw Tim Raines and Tim Wallach among others in Triple-A ball) than the Gold.

9. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

It's not like I said
    Or worse still,

10. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

Nah, they also had Charlie Scott and George Gervin and some guard who later started for the Trail Blazers' NBA championship team, can't remember his name.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What, the exploits of Bob Gagliano and Bill Johnson didn't capture your imagination?

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Found this site a while ago. This thread got me to dig it up again.

http://www.oursportscentral.com/usfl/

Draft saved Draft deleted