1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Used Books for New Orleans?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Firstime Caller, Jun 20, 2006.

1. I'm looking to donate some used books. I was wondering if anybody knew of some charity in New Orleans could use some books as part of the rebuilding, maybe some library that got flooded or something like that. I'd be willing to pay the freight so to speak to send them. I'd just need to know where.

2. ARD

ARD Member

Try this for info: http://www.nola.com/living/t-p/index.ssf?/base/living-6/114905689662970.xml

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I don't know about NOLA, but I hate to see books get thrown away.
    If you're having trouble finding anybody who wants them, check out http://www.booksforafrica.org. A friend of mine worked with this group on a project after we got back from Nigeria.

Also, see if there's a local chapter of the American Association of University Women. They often take used books and run big used book sales (which are great) to raise money for their scholarships: http://www.aauw.org/

4. Awesome work ARD! That's exactly what I was looking for. If there's anybody else looking to help out NOLA, do click on the link ARD posted. It has extensive info.

Not to leave you out, Buck, but I was really hoping to help out NOLA. I would never throw out a book and, hopefully, some other people here will donate books to the causes you mentioned. I may myself in the future. This time though, I'm looking to help NOLA.

5. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

I'd like to give a shout out for us folks east of NOLA. Three branches of the Harrison County, Miss., library system were completely lost in the storm. That link gets you to the front page, and there are contacts for donations near the bottom. If you go to the Pictures page you can see what was left of the library I spent lots of time in growing up. It's right on the beach across from Gulfport's small craft harbor.

That's my home county, and the one west of us that's also in our coverage area got hammered harder. The folks in Hancock County have lists of needs and ways to donate on their site, as well.

All help is appreciated.

6. OTD

OTD Well-Known Member

If you don't send books to NOLA (and I'm not saying don't do that, just another suggestion) is your local VA hospital. They get lots of books donated, but most are romances and things that women read. Obviously, that's not the target audience here. Those guys love it when they get spy novels, sports books, etc.

7. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

No probs. I was just passing on the info in case it was of use.

8. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

I was thinking about doing this the other day. Thanks for the links.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Bump.

Good thread I totally missed before. Nice addition, Del.

Maybe others who are like-minded will benefit from seeing this.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'll echo that. I donated several boxes of "guy" books to the VA here last year and they were very, very happy to get them for the reason OTD mentioned.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I was just about to post...

Your local senior center will be thrilled to take old magazines and books off your hands, and if you have old copies of Si, the guys in there will love you forever.

I think they get pretty tired of back issues of Cat Fancy.

Draft saved Draft deleted