1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Use of its, who, which..

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by platini, Feb 5, 2008.

1. platini

platini New Member

I think there was a thread not long ago about when to use its, when, who, etc. when following a city, school or nickname. I recently made a mistake where I wrote, "X Universty increased their lead to 55-45 with 6:13 left in the game." That is incorrect. The sentence should have read, "X Univ. increaded ITS lead..." Does someone know how to get to the thread that went over these rules, or a link to clarify, so I can print it out and have it handy. I could not find anything in the AP Stylebook and want to get this cleaned up ASAP.
    Thx.

2. joe

joe Active Member

Strunk & White, "Elements of Style," the bible for journalists and writers. Make sure you have a copy.

3. platini

platini New Member

Thanks, joe. I guess it is time to read that again. The only thing about Strunk and White is that some of their tips don't jibe with AP style. But otherwise, yes, the content in that book is invaluable.

4. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Team is an it (city or school names). Plural mascot names are a they. Singular mascot names (i.e. Heat, Avalanche) are usually up to a paper's individual style.

Not sure what you're getting at with "who" and "which."

5. platini

platini New Member

When I mentioned "who" or "which," I was referring to something like, "...the Giants, which won their first Super Bowl since 1991." Apparently, it should read, "...the Giants, who won their first Super Bowl since 1991."

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

There's no apparently about it. That's how it should read. Who with specific mascot names. Which with city/school names, as well as the non-specific "team."

7. platini

platini New Member

You guys have been helpful. I appreciate it.

8. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Ahh, yeah. What Doc said. It goes back to the same thing: Team is an it, mascots are a they.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

And if you ever work in the UK, disregard everything we just told you.

10. rascalface

rascalface Member

It's in the AP Stylebook under "collective nouns."

11. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

yeah, too much play by play in your gamer! [​IMG]

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

And who/whom, general rule of thumb: If you can plug in him/her into the sentence, whom. Otherwise, who.

Draft saved Draft deleted