1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC's hoops team bans itself from tourney...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 3, 2010.

1. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

A fair point, as always, but the problem here, and in most cases like this, is that collateral damage is often the only kind of damage that's inflicted. I know the rogue programs must be punished, but so much of it doesn't make sense when the two principal perpetrators (Mayo, Floyd) are long gone -- it's as if they've farted and then left the room.

Mayo's cashing the Grizzlies' checks, and Floyd is on the Hornets' staff. I know Floyd beat the posse out of town, but echoing what Baron said, it sucks that there's no way to punish those two.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

If we were going to see a post-SMU death penalty in a major college program, we'd have seen it by now. If Baylor didn't get it, no one ever will again.

3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Always been curious how forfeiting past wins resolves anything? Games were played, score was kept. Next year's media guide (well, media CD) will list the scores with a asterisk or some other symbol saying "games were forfeited by action of the university." Yeah, that'll teach 'em ...

4. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Already on the books.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Baylor canceled its entire non-conference schedule after the Dennehy/Bliss mess, so in essence it assessed itself half a death penalty.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Oh, Baylor got a death penalty, all right. It just wasn't the team that got it.

7. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Baylor mess was handled poorly in my opinion. They allowed the players to transfer without sitting out, some of the really good players even went to in-conference schools. So Baylor was left with, basically, a roster full of walk-ons. The guys left at Baylor were kids that either decided to stick out a tough situation or had nowhere else to go because they weren't good enough.

They don't get to play a non-conference schedule so by the time these poor kids get to play a game, they are facing teams in midseason form and getting lit up by former teammates such as John Lucas. I get the point that there will be colateral damage, as somebody up thread put it, but it really seemed like piling on to me. I understand why the NCAA allowed the players to transfer without sitting out, but I don't think they should have be allowed to do so within the conference.

On a side note, Bliss' cheating was about ready to really payoff if the murder hadn't happened. Lucas and Lawrence Roberts were All-America-type players and Kenny Taylor had a nice senior year after transferring to Texas and Dennehey was pretty good too.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Players should be able to transfer to whatever school they want to, for any reason that they want to. This ain't China.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You realize that's tantamount to sending all the top players cash and hookers to get them to transfer to your school, right? There has to be some hammer against willy-nilly transferring in Division I

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Solid info pertaining to the USC football program's problems following NCAA rules has been available since 2005.

Tim Floyd's reputation was well-known throughout college basketball circles, and certainly by the caliber of athlete he was recruiting at USC.

Any football/basketball athlete who signed with either program had to at be aware that NCAA sanctions - that would directly affect the signee - were a pretty good possibility at some point of his career. Buyer beware.

It's really going to hit the fan when the depositions begin in the agent's case against the Bush family. USC's already being as proactive it can by offering up basketball, which no one at SC really cares about much, as the sacrificial lamb to spare football major, major penalties.

They can. With some applicable conditions.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

"Hold The Mayo"

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Sure, and I'd be more willing to understand the NCAA's rule on that if coaches weren't essentially allowed to switch schools at the drop of a hat or if players weren't forced to sit out for two years instead of one if the school didn't approve of where the player was transferring to.

Draft saved Draft deleted