1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC kicker found dead

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ellis Redding, Jan 6, 2007.

1. USC kicker Danelo found dead at bottom of cliff

Mario Danelo, a kicker for the USC football team, was found dead Saturday in San Pedro, Calif.

Danelo's body was found at the bottom of White Point Cliff in San Pedro, according for a spokesman for the Los Angeles Police Department. Police did not release further details.

Danelo, a redshirt junior, walked on with the Trojans in 2003 and earned a scholarship in 2005, according to the USC athletic department's Web site.

He was 15-for-16 on field goals this season and made 44 of 48 PATs, leading the team in scoring with 89 points.

Danelo is the son of former NFL kicker Joe Danelo.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Damn. That's fucked up.

Didn't Joe Danelo hit the FG that put the Giants in the playoffs for the first time in 18 years in 1981?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

What the hell?

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Yep, just saw this on the LAT site. Don't have any other confirmation or details, but sounds gruesome, whatever it is.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Wow.

Poor Joe Danelo and his family.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Where is this from? It hasn't moved on the AP wire.

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Jesus. My thoughts to his family.

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Oh, my. That's terrible.

9. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Just curious. Is that cliff a popular spot for climbing and hiking and such?

I'm hoping this was just a terrible, terrible accident. Thoughts and prayers to his family and loved ones.

10. WSKY

WSKY Member

Did that guy from Northern Colorado have anything to do with it?

11. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Dunno. Don't know exactly which cliff it is just yet. That area around San Pedro/L.A. Harbor is a pretty big place for windsurfing, though, because of all the cliffs.

12. When I first heard a USC kicker was found dead, I was thinking former USC kicker Cole Ford but then I realized they hadn't used former.

Draft saved Draft deleted