1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC Football's Racist Facebook group?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hiredguy, Mar 11, 2007.

1. hiredguy

hiredguy Member

http://media.www.dailytrojan.com/media/storage/paper679/news/2007/03/08/News/Facebook.Group.Lands.Usc.Football.Player.In.Hot.Water-2764591.shtml

I found the comments on the second page interesting....

2. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

I'm tellin' ya'll. Stay away, stay away, stay a-way.

3. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

Just another example of the stupidity demonstrated from time to time by school-age kidz (sic).

4. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Actually their explanation carries water with me. Borat-ish humor on their part. Nothing to see here.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Not sure I understand why these guys get a free pass, even if they intended it as a joke. No different than a hundred other "jokes" told by folks that far too many people find unfunny.

And I know many of the principals refused to be quoted for the story, but it would have been nice to have comments from other black players (beyond Ellis, although it wasn't clear if he is black) to see how they feel about it.

6. Pringle

Pringle Active Member

Um, the black players started joking about those guys being the "White Nation." The white guys made a satiric Web site basically satirizing white supremacists' views about black people.

Seems to me like the college kids can joke about this kind of stuff more than us super-serious adults.

To me, it's actually a good sign that blacks and whites can joke together about racial stereotypes - I think it's clear that Cushing and those guys didn't really feel this way.

Much ado about nothing.

7. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

Ellis is black. I did a story on him when he was in high school. Actually a pretty good kid who could have slipped off the tracks early in adolescence, but righted the ship in high school.

Draft saved Draft deleted