1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC bans LA Daily News reporter for 2 weeks for reporting an injury

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by LongTimeListener, Sep 12, 2012.

1. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

http://www.thebiglead.com/index.php/2012/09/12/lane-kiffin-has-banned-the-la-daily-news-from-usc-for-two-weeks-for-reporting-on-an-injury/

Awhile back we had a thread about what do you miss and not miss about the business. I forgot it at the time, but the #1 thing I don't miss is these tin-hat dictators and their tantrums.

Scott Wolf has been working at the Daily News for a good long time -- 20 years? I don't know. Anyway, he reported that the kicker had surgery to repair a torn meniscus and will miss three weeks. The injury happened in a game and was well-known. But Kiffin issued a no-reporting-on-injuries edict, so Wolf has been banned from practice for two weeks and the home game against Cal.

This ... and Dan Mullen ... and who knows who else ... God, do I not missing dealing with these fuckers.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

They can get away with banning him from the game? Wolf doesn't work for Lane Kiffin. I trust the braintrust at LA Daily News is going to raise holy hell over this one.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Another link said they can ban him from home games, so that's why it's the Cal game in two weeks, but USC doesn't control the road press box so Wolf will be there for the Stanford game this weekend.

4. Moderator1

Every media outlet there needs to unite and stay away from that game. If they're allowed to do this to the Daily News, which outlet is next? Absolutely cannot be tolerated in any way shape or form

5. RandalGraves

RandalGraves New Member

I doubt that happens.

6. Moderator1

I doubt it, too. It should. Anyone who accepts this has no business being in the media. THEY don't control your reporting.

7. Remember the Lane Kiffin farewell press conference at Tennessee?

8. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

I don't want any boycott, I want them to show up and to skewer Lane Kiffin for this.

9. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

They banned Scott Wolf of the Daily News, but I didn't protest, because I wasn't Scott Wolf and didn't work at the Daily News. They banned ...

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Every media outlet in LA that covers USC should remove all mention of the school -- for anything except bad news such as crimes committed by biology professors -- from their journalism until this decision is reversed. Strike the team from the wire service poll agate. Have the publisher call the school president and say he'll do what he can to fuck up fundraising. Total war.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Don't coaches have more important things to worry about?

Good lord...

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Quote from (insert name of major college football coach here): "Guys, you can't print injuries. You just can't. Here's why: The other guys read that, and they go right after the kid, right to his vulnerable spot. They exploit it. Try to take advantage. Am I saying they'll try to hurt him intentionally? No, and we would never do that. We might try to pick on an area where he's weak, to give us an edge, but we would never deliberately try to hurt him. But some coaches would. Hell, a lot of them would. Not us, you see, but them. It's happened to us before. When I was at (insert name of another major college here) it happened to us against (insert name of that team's big rival). So you just can't do it. There's privacy laws, and there are all those coaches out there just waiting for information like this, so just don't. Don't. Come on, guys.

"Did I mention the media will be guest coaches at the spring game, and you'll get to wear coaches' shirts? Hey, guys, how's everybody doing. Good. Now, here's how practice went today ..."

Draft saved Draft deleted