1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USC and UCLA

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Songbird, Jul 19, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

This is a tidbit from Bob Keisser's column at the Press-Telegram in Long Beach:

I'm a USC honk. One of my things is that the Trojans play the best of the best, so this is exciting they're playing Nebraska -- I've never seen a USC-Nebraska game in all my years. I'd love to see a USC-Miami game, too. USC lost both recent games to Florida State in 1997 and 1998; the '97 game was close (14-7), but the Noles killed USC in '98 (30-10 or something like that).

I'm not sure I've ever seen a UCLA-Notre Dame game, either. Screw UCLA.

2. Overrated

Overrated Guest

I wish he used the word "slate" more.

3. DisembodiedOwlHead

DisembodiedOwlHead Active Member

A worn out joke to keep the flies away
    Carried it this far
    Got the west side winds to keep it steady
    We bury the hatchets we find
    Could carry that heavy load
    If I really thought it would matter
    Farcical hair appears
    As a blind side, clean the slate

Working in the halls of shame
    Lay it down in full view
    Lay it down

What the hell were we thinking
    Before the fire burned out?
    I can't find you now
    And I didn't know you then
    Loneliness drinks the bitters
    Till the cold winds warm again
    It's a feel for the game
    Mouth open wide, screams and hollers

Lay it down in full view
    Lay it down

I gambled once and won, never made a dollar
    And beauty fades to grey
    And I pray the very best will guard her
    And provide the way
    It's a telltale sign
    When it's chairs up, and time to go

Lay it down in full view
    Lay it down

4. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

I think most of the Pac-10 would upgrade their schedules if they could  get equitable trade. I know Washington State and Oregon State find it almost impossible to get home-and-home dates with anybody outside of the WAC or MWC and it's not much better for Stanford, Cal and Oregon. And to be fair, Hawaii might be a better brand name than all of these teams, but a pastry by any other name still goes down just as easy for the Trojans.

5. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Also, isn't the correct term "patsy?"

Keisser's a joke.

6. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'd say either applies, since I've seen many a patsy called a cupcake, which is a pastry.

7. Songbird

It's probably just his way of saying cupcake like Vitale.

8. Overrated

Overrated Guest

Thanks for explaining, Keisser. ;D

I see what you're saying. I'm dumb. :-\

9. Songbird

Too bad teams like Florida State or Miami or Texas or Michigan won't go play at Oregon or The Paloose, etc.

I've also never seen USC-Tennessee. It would look sweet if 'SC wore the maroon and gold and the Vols wore the orange. I also want to see 'SC between the hedges.

10. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Trojans-Vols happened in 1981 and 1982.

But for some reason UCLA and Tennessee seem to match up a lot but not USC and Tennessee.

Vols just added home-and-home series against Oklahoma and Nebraska a few years down the road. Just finished a home-and-home against Notre Dame and had a home-and-home against Miami before that. Fucking Georgia never plays anyone like that (although I think they might be playing an Arizona State or Colorado down the road).

I wouldn't discount the possibility of FSU-Oregon. Seminoles have shown a willingless to go pretty much everywhere. I don't think you'll see Michigan-Oregon because conferences with bowl tie-ins usually try to avoid each other in the regular season (although there are occasional exceptions).

11. Left_Coast

Left_Coast Active Member

I'm glad the Pac-10 didn't let teams add an extra non-conference game with the new schedule upgrade and instead everyone plays everyone else in the conference.

12. Lester Bangs

Lester Bangs Active Member

Nike dough is making it easier for Oregon ... I think they get Oklahoma at home this year and Michigan visited a few years back. But I seem to recall it was something of a big deal when Mississippi State visited Eugene a few years back.  Coug fans were all a twitter when Colorado was scheduled to visit the Palouse in 2001 ... and it was wiped out by 9/11 and rescheduled for Seattle in 2004.

There is simply no impetus for teams like Alabama, Auburn, FSU, Florida, Ohio State, et al to go anywhere out west. They make  far more money with a home date against Louisiana-Monroe than a roadie at, well ... anywhere. Didn't Tennessee buy out a road game at Wyoming for something like $1 million a couple years ago? Of course, the Pac-10 does itself no favors with awful TV and bowl deals. Who would want to bed down with them? Only the Pac-10 would lower itself as to have its No. 3 team play the Big Ten 5 in a bowl. </pac10fanboyrant>

Draft saved Draft deleted