1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAT-Tampa Trib combo subscription

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by 1HPGrad, Jul 14, 2011.

1. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

Received an offer today to receive USAT M-F and Tampa Tribune on weekends.
    Promptly tossed it in the trash. Already subscribe to the better paper in the Bay area, and if I wanted all the fluff USAT provides, I'd sell cotton candy at the Trop. (Offer also noted subscription would cost less than the Times, to which I thought: I sure as heck hope so.)

Any other markets trying combo deals such as this? Big G and MG, interesting.

2. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, Mother Trib has (had?) been doing it with the Wall Street Journal for about two years. I wonder if that arrangement expired and they've switched to USA Today.

3. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

OMG, the incest has officially begun.

4. 1HPGrad

1HPGrad Member

This morning's Groupon was Thu-Sun annual Trib subscription for $19. Boys across the bay are doing what they can to survive, I suppose.

5. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

So, if Gannett and Media General are in bed together, which one is the top and which is the bottom?

6. reformedhack

In newspapers as well as magazines, it's not about the revenue you get from circulation, it's about the revenue you get from advertising rates that are based on your circulation. Anything you get from a subscription or coins dropped in a box ... well, that's just gravy. (Although publishers have been trying to get as much gravy as possible these days to keep the lights on.)

7. reformedhack

Media General is what is known in certain circles as a "power bottom" ... they may get fucked in the long run, but they'll aggressively fuck you back in the meantime.

I may have said too much.

8. Mizzougrad96

USA Today = Big Jim Slade
    Tampa Tribune = I was going to say Perez Hilton, but people actually read Perez Hilton.

9. reformedhack

It's still an apt example. Both have a huge online presence, but nobody really enjoys reading Perez Hilton, either. Or admits to it.

10. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Pretty sure the Trib is printing/distributing USAT, among other publications. I'm not sure this is that out of the ordinary.

11. I always read the Trib's print edition when I'm visiting the area, but I can't handle the website. It's too clunky and stressful for me to spend more than 90 seconds on.

12. Mizzougrad96

The Tribune was an overachiever for awhile. Those days are long gone though...

Draft saved Draft deleted