1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAir Eliminates In-Flight Video on Domestic Flights

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

US Airways to Shut Down In-Flight Movies

Passengers traveling on US Airways should bring extra crossword puzzles, playing cards and reading material come November, as the airline announced plans to remove in-flight entertainment systems from 200 aircraft, the Associated Press reports. The systems will be taken out of domestic flights (wide body aircraft for international flights and trips to Hawaii are not affected) in order to save nearly $10 million annually, according to airline spokesman Phil Gee.

Gee also told the AP that movie systems weigh close to 500 pounds and force planes to use more fuel while flying. Later this year, US Airways will test a lighter, seat-back TV system to bring in-flight entertainment back to aircraft, but, according to Gee, it will be a long time until its implementation.

The removal of the the entertainment systems is the latest in economic measures taken by the airline, including checked-bag and beverage fees and an increase in change fees.

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

They can dedicate that $10 mill to their baggage system.

If their baggage system resided in Central Hell, it would be an improvement over what they have, now.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's what I was thinking. Who really relies on the airline's in-flight entertainment anymore?

4. Armchair_QB

Probably not many people on domestic flights. But once this happens, there's nothing stopping them from doing it on international flights. 10-12 hours on a plane with a computer/dvd player that has a 3-4 hour battery would be a beating.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Good point. Still, don't iPods have a 24-hr battery? It's not the optimal viewing experience, but it beats staring at the airborne walls.

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Exactly. I have two 12+ hour flights coming up in the next month and a half and I'd really like there to be some type of in-flight entertainment. I'll do a lot of reading but a couple movies to break up the monotony would certainly help.

7. Armchair_QB

USAir is the only airline doing this and it's only on domestic (mainland) flights so you should be ok.

8. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Not a big deal for me, but definitely will be to a good number of travelers. More than some of you who posted above may think.

Stupid, stuipd business move. Won't make a discernable difference in ticket price, soooo....

If you have a trip from Charlotte to LA, are you taking the US Air flight with nothing to entertain you or a Delta flight at the same price with the movie?

At some point airlines are going to figure out that they should be doing things to differentiate their service to get a price premium as opposed to slashing services to reduce costs.

And a potential side effect of all this: probably going to be a lot more chatter from your seatmate on these flights. People can find it awfully hard to entertain themselves, which is why you might find you'll get an earful of Helen from Hackensack's life story.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yes, I know, things used to be different. I remember when we first met. It was during the war. I was in the Air Force stationed in Drambui, off the Barbary coast. I used to hang out at the Magumba bar. It was a rough place, the seediest dive on the wharf. Populated with every reject and cutthroat from Bombay to Calcutta. It's worse than Detroit. The mood in the place was downright ugly. You wouldn't walk in there unless you knew how to use your fists. You could count on a fight breaking out almost every night.

I didn't go there that night to fall in love. I just dropped in for a couple of drinks. But, suddenly there she was. I was captivated, entranced. It hit me like a thunderbolt. I had to ask the guy next to me to pinch me to make sure I wasn't dreaming. I was afraid to approach her, but that night fate was on my side.

We laughed, we talked, we danced I never wanted it to end. I guess I still don't. But, enough about me, I hope this hasn't been boring for you. Its just that whenever I talk about Elaine, I get so carried away, I lose all track of time.

10. Armchair_QB

If you typed that from memory I'm very worried about you.

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

So you're saying I won't be trapped in a cross-country flight forced to watch Love Guru? Thanks US Air!

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

I have many, many issues, but no, I had to look that up. :D

Though my still-unopened DVD of Airplane is on the floor beneath my feet.

Draft saved Draft deleted