1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USAGE/DEFINITION OF: Game-winning hit

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by new-pj, Jan 5, 2007.

1. new-pj

new-pj New Member

Along the lines of unanswered runs...

In a game tied at 4, Team A hits a home run, then adds 3 more runs to make the final score 8-4. Is the home run the "game-winning" home run? It was docked as being ambiguous because any of the last runs could have been the "game-winning" run. My assertion was that the last 3 were insurance runs...

Was I not correct?

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The hit that provided the run that gave the team the lead for good is the game-winning RBI. So the home run is the game-winning hit. But readers are likely to think of the final hit as the game-winner. My suggestion: don't use it unless it's a hit that literally ends the game (the "walk off" home run, if you will).

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You were correct, but again, this has fallen out of usage -- both as an official stat (which it used to be) -- and in newspapers.

The reasoning: The game-winning-RBI when it was a stat was the RBI that put a team ahead for good. Seems fine, until you encounter the following scenario. Player A singles in the first to put team up 1-0. Team goes on to score 10 in the inning.

Other team comes back with nine runs in the bottom of the ninth to move within one, but still loses 10-9.

Who gets the GWRBI?

Again, your professor is showing you something that is more confusing to the reader than helpful, even if you use it correctly. His judgement is sound. Save game-winning hit for extra innings.

4. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

And don't use "walk-off home run" in your copy, either.

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Because one day, you might run into a hostile female copy editor out West who might kill over it if she's having a bad day :D

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

He had the winning hit. Game- adds nothing.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I would write "go-ahead hit" if it happened relatively early in the game. Or, to satisfy deskers' penchant for plain English, "the hit which gave the Mudville Nine the lead."

8. MC Sports Guy

MC Sports Guy Member

sometimes I'll use game-winning hit for emphasis in a blowout situation: "Team's A's Willie Mays led off the game with a home run, which turned out to be the game-winning hit."

I think it gets across that Team A really controlled the game.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, MC, a lead off HR is never a game-winning hit.
    That's why MLB dropped the GWH stat..it just got stupid.

10. awriter

awriter Active Member

I would just write something like this: "(Player) hit a solo homer to break a 4-4 tie in the (inning) and Team A tacked on three more on its way to a XXXXX victory over Team B." I would avoid the game-winning/go-ahead issue for the reasons listed above.

11. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Sidebar: use the phrase "round tripper" freely.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Use walk-off home run. It is a tight, descriptive term that lets the reader know exactly what happened.

Game-winning home run is both longer and more vague. A game-winning home run can be hit in any inning. A walk-off homer can only be hit in the bottom of the last inning.

It is a well-known and well-understood term and, for the life of me, I can't figure out why some journalists get a burr in their saddle about it. [/end rant]

Draft saved Draft deleted