1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today preseason Top 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 3, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Go back to an SEC fanboard, looser!

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

And I say this argument is backwards. As though Boise State is somehow "penalized."

FACT: At least half the teams in the top 25 would run the table with Boise State's schedule.

The only difference between those other teams and BSU is that they don't get to play BSU's schedule.

So, IMO, rewarding BSU for an undefeated season by letting it play for the national title is, in effect, penalizing all those other teams who would have done the same thing.

It's why a 78-game hitting streak in Triple-A will not be recognized as breaking DiMaggio's streak. The hitter MAY well be of major-league quality. And some of the pitchers he got hits off of MAY be major-league quality as well. But the BODY OF HIS WORK was accomplished against horribly subpar competition. And there can be no way of getting around this inconvenient truth.

3. linotype

linotype Well-Known Member

Not to sound like a WVU fanboy but I'll point out that the only reason they're playing Marshall is because the governor of W.Va. stepped in a few years ago and mandated that they play.

And the Mississippi State series was scheduled in the spring of 2004 -- a few months before Sylvester Croom coached his first game there -- with the hope that ol' Sly would've built Bully's program into something respectable by 2006 and '07 ... or at least cut the nuts off a bull by then.

This is likely the last year anyone can bitch about WVU's schedule, though -- coming on board in the coming years are Auburn (2008 and '09), Michigan State ('10 and '11), FSU ('12 and '13) and I'll even include Colorado ('08 and '09) in that mix as long as Hawk fast-tracks the Buffs back to respectability.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I'm not ragging on them for playing Marshall, it's the best game of the 4! Those Auburn games should be something to look forward to.

5. Chad Conant

Chad Conant Member

IMO ... This is the year Michigan beats Ohio State and gets beat by someone silly, like Illinois.

Miami has a ton of talent, finally some accountability and something to prove. My Butch Davis Gut Instinct tells me they rebound big, and win the ACC.

6. amraeder

IMO, Michigan can't get out of the Camp unscathed, but then again, I'm biased.

7. amraeder

Question on the Coaches poll: Does AP move a story about this? I don't see one.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

No, they don't even barely acknowledge it.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Thanks BTE, I think you summed up what I have always felt about this in one post.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

Here's our headline for Saturday:

"College coaches pick Trojans"

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Yeah, 58-7 since 2002 (with four losses in one year) is pretty shitty

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I don't think anyone is saying Boise State's record is shitty or even pretending 58-7 isn't amazing, but if USC was playing Idaho State and Idaho and Portland State and San Jose State and Utah State and New Mexico State and had one game against a Pac-10 team (Oregon State, generally) and a random game against a MAC team and one game against Georgie, I'm think USC would have gone 64-1 or 65-0 with the same schedule.

58-7 is nice, but not with who they are playing.

Draft saved Draft deleted