1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today preseason Top 25

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Aug 3, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Doing a football poll in August is a great, evil thing.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If this thread doesn't lure Whitlock out of retirement, I don't know what will.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It's not a surprise that Miami isn't on the list. They were middling last season and lost their two best players, Beason and Olsen, to the NFL.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Very true. If you're not up top at the start, you have almost no chance, no matter how well you play.

I think it'll be tough to go undefeated this year, although you'd have to say Boise has the best shot. USC can maybe do it. I don't see anyone coming out of the Big 10 unscathed, but you never know. Michigan and Wisconsin should be very good, but Penn State and OSU will be tough to take down. Can't say I know enough about the SEC or ACC to really comment on them.

Obviously it's early for this talk. But it's so much fun!

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

It doesn't matter if Boise goes undefeated. They won't compete for the National Championship.

6. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Since I love to argue this, I will bring it up again. Just because they beat Oklahoma doesn't mean they should compete for the national title when they play in a dog shit conference like the WAC.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I've said it every year. I don't care what conference a team plays in. If they finish undefeated, they deserve a chance to play for the National Championship.

8. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

oklahoma backed into the big 12 championship because colt mccoy got hurt. they weren't as bad as '04 (s)pitt as far as BCS teams go, but this whole david-and-goliath nonsense about boise beating oklahoma is just absurd.

let's not forget that boise state rolled into athens two years ago with their chests swelled high and were then obliterated.

the BSU-OU game was great, yes. a great battle between two very good- NOT GREAT- teams.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Exactly. If you are going to throw out the Oklahoma game then you might as well throw out the Georgia game.

I want to see BSU play a full conference slate in one of the power conferences and if they run the table through that, well then they should play for the national title.
    But since they get to play teams like New Mexico State and Idaho and Utah State and San Jose State in conference, it is not all that impressive to go undefeated.

10. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

oh, nothing at all, except that essentially the same team played both games.

one win, no matter how dynamic and wonderful and OMG a player proposed afterwards and blah blah blah, is only one win.

11. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Only reason it's fun to talk about its becuase of how badly OSU got rolled. Bosie would have been rolled worse by florida, though.

12. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Will Josh's mother do the introduction?

Draft saved Draft deleted