1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA Today College Football Coaches' Poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by king cranium maximus IV, Aug 1, 2008.

1. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

Here.

Two quick thoughts:

- Six teams received first place votes.
    - Spurrier didn't vote for Duke.

ed. note: fixed to remove ESPN

2. trifectarich

trifectarich Well-Known Member

Re: USA Today/ESPN College Football Coaches' Poll

Until November, all this is meaningless.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

LSU is way overrated.

4. king cranium maximus IV

LSU is pretty interesting- they're still loaded on D and will have a solid running game. Usually that's enough to win the SEC. But then, yeah, the QB situation. Yikes. @ Auburn and @ Florida could be some serious trouble, and the home game against Georgia will be another tall order.

5. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I would strongly disagree with that. Consider what happened to Auburn a few years ago when it ran the table during the regular season but got left out of the title game thanks, in part, to how low it started the year in the rankings. The lower you are ranked in the opening poll, the less your fate is in your own hands all year.

That's why I don't think any of these polls should come out until at least three or four weeks into the season. You're establishing the pecking order for determining a champion before anybody even sets foot on the field.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

There's already a poll out?

They might as well put a poll out for college football 2009. It would be just as meaningful.

7. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

So Georgia is the pick for the team that will beat OSU in this year's title game. Interesting.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

So is Duke.

9. king cranium maximus IV

Yeah, the way this is going, I look forward to Vanderbilt kicking tOSU's ass in the 2018 BCS Championship Game.

10. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Georgia may be the first major college team I've ever heard of having four consecutive road games without a bye week.

That's one hell of a brutal schedule. Don't write off the trip to ASU either. East coast teams typically play terribly when they have to travel that far.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Georgia will not win the national championship.

LSU has no QB ... and no business at No. 6.

Missouri will find some way to screw it up, probably by losing to some schlub team like Iowa State.

If Ohio State <s>plays in</s> gets killed in the national championship game again, something must be done to change the system immediately.

12. king cranium maximus IV

Yeah, the schedule is too nuts. I'd be shocked if they lost less than two games. Nothing to frown upon, and it could easily get them another BCS at-large bid, but I'm not expecting a championship.

Draft saved Draft deleted