1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA TODAY blog goes viral with alleged Ronaldo story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MeanGreenATO, Jun 23, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Wait you mean that his last name is not Ronaldo?

2. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Don't worry, dude. It's just soccer.
    If it were NFL or something important, somebody here might tear your head off.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

So journalists (even bloggers) did nothing wrong here, but OP is illiterate?

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

This thread has me wondering the same thing.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, most journalists (and bloggers) should avoid stooping to report on an athlete's stupid haircut. So there's that.

6. Double J

Double J Active Member

That ship has already sailed, unfortunately.

7. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

If the story is true, isn't the haircut a nice tidbit in a story?

8. MisterCreosote

That's the thing. I can think of a dozen more pressing issues to ask Ronaldo about before I even get to his haircut.

It's so irrelevant it wouldn't even occur to me to ask.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yes, but the people posting that stuff would be thousands of miles away, not at a Ronaldo presser.

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

There is nothing "pressing" to ask Cristiano Ronaldo. He's an athlete, not a world leader.

11. MisterCreosote

OK, rephrase. I can think of at least a dozen "more relevant" issues to discuss.

An athlete may not be a world leader, but he's sure as hell more relevant and interesting than a fucking haircut.

12. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The haircut was very very noticeable. At the very least it makes for a good note if someone asks him about it. And if it does turn out to be a tribute to the kid, that's gold.

It doesn't mean people aren't covering all the other Cristiano Ronaldo-related storylines at the World Cup. It's not an either/or.

Personally I would like to read more about the topless model who greeted him at the hotel.

Draft saved Draft deleted