1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

USA basketball

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smokey33, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

Alright, where the hell is the US basketball exhibition game with Korea???

The US bball site lists it as being on right now on ESPN2 (it's not), but my on-screen program guide says it's tomorrow afternoon.

Why isn't it on live? Are they really gonna garner significantly better ratings on a weekday afternoon (on tape delay, nonetheless) than they would by showing it now?

2. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I can't believe someone other than Chuck Taylor or Cockdian started a thread about the USA basketball team.
    I am interested in watching, are they always going to tape delay the games?

3. Chuck~Taylor

Chuck~Taylor Active Member

[​IMG]

4. Smokey33

Smokey33 Member

I don't think there's any way for us to know if the games will be tape-delayed or not, as the team's own website contains faulty information about tonight's game broadcast.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Hey pho-real, suck a dick!

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

SPOILER ALERT!!!!

U.S. leads 62-35 at halftime. Still, probably, "playing the wrong way." :D :D

LBJ 19, DW 10 points at half.

Final, 116-63. LeBron finishes with 23, 10-of-11 from the field.

7. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

Then believe what the guide says.

8. Starman

Second half on ESPN right now.

Once again, horrible fundamentals. Not using up any of the shot clock. Continually gambling for steals. Poor shot selection. Unnecessarily continuing to play hard even with a double-digit lead. Not pacing themselves. Certainly not "the right way to play" we're used to seeing in the NBA.

9. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I'm not watching and can't tell if this is sarcasm or not, and am really interested. How do they look? You say gambling for steals and not using the shot clock, which I think could be bad. But also continuously playing hard, which is good.

So good or bad sir?

10. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I think he's making fun of Larry Brown, as usual when USA Basketball comes up in conversation. I think it's especially obvious since USA blew out Korea by 53 points.

11. fmrsped

fmrsped Active Member

I got that from his Brown rant and the "playing the right way" comment. ;D

I guess I could just assume they looked fine in a rout of Korea, and I supposed the questions I raised earlier, i.e. the shot clock, etc., are hard to judge in a blowout like that due to boredom, etc.

12. Starman

It's sarcasm.

They look very good, although the opposition is terrible, so how "good" they look is hard to judge.

The best thing is that they are indeed playing hard, regardless of the quality of the opposition or the margin of the score.

And when you have a huge, huge talent differential, you never want to "use the shot clock."

"Using the shot clock" is a strategic tactic designed to neutralize talent differential. And it's proven to be very effective.

Draft saved Draft deleted