1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Thanksgiving question from a Canuck

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by JR, Nov 26, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I'm curious about something. When do you most of you have your Thanksgiving dinner?

Noon? Mid afternoon? Normal dinner time, say 6:00 to 8:00?

I got into a conversation with someone here at work today and I thought mostly it was early or mid afternoon, say anytime from 1:00 to 3:00

And do most people (not journalists, I imagine) get/take Friday off?

Yeah, that's two questions but only one up here based on the exchange rate.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Varies from family to family. Some like to eat at noon, some in the afternoon, some in the evening.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, that's certainly helpful. :)

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Might not be helpful but that's the answer.
    We're eating in 52 minutes.

Many families do eat a bit earlier on Thanksgiving. Most regular folk get Friday off. Well, a lot. Can't say most.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I think for the most part, people eat around 4-6 range. Always been that way here for me anyway.

And yes, it is a short work week for most people. Schools as well.

6. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It varied from year to year when I was a kid. Some times as early as 1 p.m., some years as late as 6 p.m.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Depends on if you're seeing one family or two, as well.

I know plenty of people who are spending Thanksgiving with one family (or side of the family, etc.) at 1-2 p.m. and going over to someone else's house at 6-7 p.m.

When I was a kid, I think we usually ate sometime between 3:30-4:30 p.m., between games or during the middle of the second game.

8. RickStain

It honestly depends on the families. If you have a lot of people doing an all-day drive, then a later dinner makes sense. If everyone is in town or coming to stay the night before, it makes more sense to eat earlier.

9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Definitely depends where you're at. If I'm at home in California with my family, it's usually halftime of the Cowboys game (2:30ish). Today at friends, we're eating about 4.

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Ate at 7:30 p.m. today.

Never got Friday off when I was in the US because there was college football to be covered that day. Most everyone else gets a short week, I'd imagine.

11. EE94

EE94 Guest

You Mitch Albom?
    Shouldn't it be "scheduled to eat?"

12. RickStain

He's in a very, very eastern time zone.

Draft saved Draft deleted