1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Open (Flushing Meadow)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by qtlaw, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Quakes

Quakes Guest

Roddick is a thoughtful, funny guy in press conferences, and there's a lot to admire about his career. But on the court, he's too often a douche. (By the way, gingerbread, you're right that none of the top women refused to play in Dubai that year, but Venus Williams won the tournament and then addressed the exclusion of Peer on the court during the trophy ceremony. I think the ADL gave her an award for that.)

Anyone like Federer against Djokovic in the semis? Roger's played really well his last couple of matches, and I'd say he's got a chance, but I'll pick Djoker in four, or maybe three tight sets. Hope I'm wrong.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Move the start up a week, finish on Labor Day, and you eliminate the worry of competing against MNF. Unlikely to happen, though. As to the roof question: Ashe isn't designed to accommodate one, and if you have an idea of where to get the tens(hundreds?) of millions of dollars necessary to undertake the project, I'm sure the USTA would love to hear it.

3. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The men's final at 4:00 eastern on sunday has competed against NFL football for as long as I can remember.

4. John

John Well-Known Member

Watching Roddick go after the head referee yesterday about the water on the Armstrong court, all I could think about is what a dick he is. There was zero reason to act like that. What, did he have somewhere else to be?

And what's the deal with his wife? She was the hottest woman on the planet when she walked on the beach in that yellow bikini in that stupid Sandler movie, and now it's like she's trying to look as plain as possible. Maybe that's why Roddick's being such a dick.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

Like Gingerbread, I still refer to that Dubai event/Peer situation as a litmus test of character. (It's one of the reasons I bite my tongue when the Williams sisters talk about working to combat discrimination.)

I'll say this about Roddick: he's one of the few players who has a sense of humor and I appreciate his blunt honesty.

6. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Roddick has always come across from the TV screen as a twit; just watch how he asks for a towel from the ballboy/ballgirl or in an interview. He's so arrogant. He's also got the worst backhand of a big time player I've ever seen. I give him credit for improving his fitness and trying to S&V more. His forehand looks pedestrian now and while he's still getting his aces and service winners, if you get the serve back, he does not have any other real weapons so he can be broken now more than say Djokovic, Nadal, Federer or even other guys who can hit winners.

Fed is looking dangerous especially given the way he rolled Tsonga, that was a surprise. Nadal is finding his range. Djokovic has the best mental game right now, he was getting blasted by Tipsarevic's winners yet he still hung in there and pulled out the 1st set. I'm looking forward to Djokovic v. Fed.

Nadal v. Roddick? Can you say 3, 3 and 3?

Oh yeah, the women? Serena will blast Wozniaki (talk about no weapons, she's Michael Chang/Ferrer Ver.2) and roll over Stosur. Boy the women need to improve.

7. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Just flipped over to the Federer-Djokovic match. Nearly four hours.

Federer up 5-3 in the fifth (after winning the first two sets) after breaking and serving. Then 40-15. Two match points. Djokovic has an unbelieveable return and eventually breaks. Then holds for 5-5. Then just now broke Federer again and is serving for the match.

Some pretty good stuff -- and it's lost in the college football wash. They need to move this tournament up a week. It's ending on a Monday for the fourth straight year. Might as well just end it on Labor Day.

8. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

That return down two match points was unbelievable. What a gutsy play. Still can't believe Federer double-faulted to blow that game.

9. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

That match was better than any football game today. Seeing Diddy cheering on Djokovic courtside was hilarious.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That was a great tennis match. Djokovic is so different from the guy he was three-four years ago with all the talent and no idea how to use it.

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Federer won his first 178 matches at a Slam when up 2-0. Now he's lost his last two (Tsonga, Wimbledon).

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

If it's not the end of the Federer Era, it's damn close.

Draft saved Draft deleted