1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Attorneys Canned, Part Trois

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Fenian_Bastard, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

You and Bill O, Independents 'til the end, eh? ;)

2. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

O'Reilly has the same scorecard as the GOP Congress.

For every 1 time he condemns someone on what he calls the "far right" he issues 500 condemnations for what he calls the "far left".

But he's an independent. ::)

3. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

I can honestly say, and I don't care if you believe me or not, in the last four Presedential elections I have voted for third-party candidates (1988 was the last time I voted for a Republican presidential candidate).

I voted for an independent for governor in 2004 and one of our senators was up and I wrote in an independent. I voted for a Republican for House though, mostly because he sent me a hand written note when I bitched to him about a very, very local issue and the fact that he even responded about something so trivial in the grand scheme of things told me he mustn't have his head all the way up his ass.

The last "Democrat" I voted for was this state (not national) senator in 2002 who was a woman but was a hunter and very much pro-guns.

In all honesty though, I rarely vote for people from either side which means I rarely celebrate on election day.

The last time I did was when Jesse the Body won one for the third parties but from what you are saying, he shit the bed so he basically undid all the good he might have done by beating the big party candidates.

4. zagoshe

The only reason I spar with Dem's on these threads is because I keep hearing about conservatives around here, I just never see them and they certainly don't have nearly as much passion about things as the Dem's.

I'm sure I'd be just as popular on a Focus on the Family message board as I am in here if I decided to join in on their conversations...

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jesse did not do the third party cause any favors, as Tim Penny -- a much more qualified third party candidate -- found out in the next gubernatorial election.

As I said, it was great for the press, but the Mind probably set the third party case back quite a bit.

6. zagoshe

Sadly, I agree. I really thought it was a breakthrough.

But I still believe this -- if a Ross Perot type -- someone who is well funded with a populist message that resonates with Joe and Jill Working Class America -- rises up in the next two years, it could be a situation like 1992 where he or she'd be ripe to steal the White House.

7. The problem with any third-party presidential candidate is not that Perot, Nader, and the Body were buffoons in their own way. They were. It's just that there's no way a third-party candidate can succeed when only 40 percent of the eligible voters vote.
    But, this list was fun, as we cut-and-paste now from NewsMax. I particularly liked the use of "come under investigation" as though that meant anything. There were other highlights.
    RECORDS SET

- The only president ever impeached on grounds of personal malfeasance
    (True enough. How'd that work out in the long run?)
    - Most number of convictions and guilty pleas by friends and associates*
    (What's with the asterisk?)
    - Most number of cabinet officials to come under criminal investigation
    (Our friend, "come under investigation" again. Did his AG go to federal prison? Did any of the cabinet officials? Sorry, Nixon's a winner again.)
    - Most number of witnesses to flee country or refuse to testify
    (What?)
    - Most number of witnesses to die suddenly
    (Oh, for fuck's sake.)
    -- First president accused of rape.
    (Untrue. Grover Cleveland, Thomas Jefferson)
    - First first lady to come under criminal investigation
    (Really? For what crime?)
    - Largest criminal plea agreement in an illegal campaign contribution case
    - First president to establish a legal defense fund.
    - First president to be held in contempt of court
    (Where? What court?)
    - Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions
    (No way to know that.)
    - Greatest amount of illegal campaign contributions from abroad
    (See above. See also: Thomas Pappas, Greek junta. See also, Nixon.)
    - First president disbarred from the US Supreme Court and a state court
    (Sorry. Nixon was disbarred in NY in July of 1976. He resigned the bar in California and before the SCOTUS as they were preparing to kick him out.)

8. zagoshe

I know, I know Fenian -- the Vast Right-Wing conspiracy.

And I forgot all about Newsmax, but thanks for reminding me because now I have one more place to go find anti-Clinton materials...... ;D

9. zagoshe

I think Ross Perot would have won -- and that scared the hell out of him which is why he pulled out when things were getting really good and then re-entered when it was clear he lost a lot of his momentum.

If you read his book Citizen Perot he clearly wasn't a fan of Bush but I don't think he ever imagined his candidacy would take off like it did.

10. markvid

markvid Guest

Oh, boy...a list refuted with fact...
    hate when that happens :)

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Amazingly, he doesn't seem to want to defend the list.

Perhaps because it was cut and pasted, and he didn't really bother to examine the contents, but rather said, "Clinton Bad!" and fired away?

Say it isn't so!

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Why on earth is Clinton worth bringing up anyway?

I have no desire to bring up Nixon . . or Hoover . . . or Harding . . . or Andrew Johnson.

I talk about the current events surrounding the current people in power. Occasionally a historical mention is relevant . . . but not often.

Is that really so hard to do?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.