1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urgent time sheet question

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Johnny Dangerously, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I'm about to leave my hometown and head back home (2-hour drive), and the ASE calls and says time sheets are due a day early because of the holidays, so I have to file one tonight. Problem is: Our shop is telling us not to put any holiday hours down, because the check will be cut in 2007, not in 2006, when the holiday occurred.

This seems a little odd to me. To do this, I have to submit a time sheet that says I worked a day that I didn't work. Normally, a holiday falls under the heading "Paid Hours Not Worked."

I don't want to submit a false time sheet. My ASE said everyone at work will do this because that's what the company wants, but I am really uneasy about turning in a time sheet that is not accurate. It states on there that I certify the time to be true. Every other time sheet I've ever turned in has been true. Why would I want to change that now?

What I don't understand is: Why, if we're getting paid for regular hours in 2007 that we worked in 2006, is it not OK to put down a holiday on this time sheet? Why are regular hours from 2006 fine to be on a 2007, but not other types of hours? And because we didn't put down a "Christmas holiday" on the last time sheet, there won't be a Christmas holiday at all for any employee for 2006 in our payroll department. That strikes me as a little odd.

So, what would you do? This thing is due like 3 hours ago.

I'm tempted to just short myself 8 hours pay, for the holiday I had off but didn't work, rather than turn in a time sheet that isn't accurate.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Follow your head... and when they bitch, say you filled it out the way you thought you were supposed to...

3. is this really something to lose any sleep over? it's a freaking time sheet

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

fill out your time sheet. put a big No. 8 down for christmas, drive home and get a hummer.

5. Wow, what newspapers, especially with the wild hours of sports folks, still uses time sheets? That's a bit oxymoronic, ya think?

6. BillySixty

BillySixty Member

Worse yet, we have a time clock. The only good thing about that is that the management actually knows we aren't fibbing the OT sheets. The bad thing is the hours and hours I work pantsless on the couch don't get paid for.

But to answer the original question, fib on the time sheet. The IRS isn't going to be knocking at your door because you said you worked a day that you really didn't. Truth is we all work more hours in this biz than we will every get paid for. It all evens out.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

It's all about the snowman, baby. Eight and skate.

8. I am the SE for my paper, and I have to fill out a time sheet. In addition, I also pick up the slack on the news side and cover a town council meeting once a month (9 years experience doing both, so what the hell). Anyway, I have to turn in time sheets. When I first started the job three years ago, I got blasted my first week on the job because the higher ups didn't think I was putting in my full time. They asked for me to provide a time sheet, and when I did and it had 65 hours on it, they hit the fucking wall, called me and blasted me again.
    Also, in addition to covering games, etc. I am also to be in the office during the day (one-man shop). My question to them, which still has never been answered is this--how many games and meetings take place from 8-5?

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Johnny,

I don't quite understand your question.

Anyway, I would be strictly honest in putting in my hours.

* With the exception being if the company is telling me to put down hours I didn't work. Then I would certainly do that and twice on Sundays.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Palmetto, you need to buy some resume paper.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Do they pay you OT? If not, what do they care how many hours you work as long as it is at least 40?

12. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, we got time sheets too. And every time we have a holiday or something tricky in a week, I make sure to ask the same woman on the news side (she goes through the time slips, too) how to fill it out accurately. Because I make too little to miss on any holiday or overtime pay when I deserve it.

Draft saved Draft deleted