1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urgent, need help finding Chi-town hotels!

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by PhilaYank36, Aug 25, 2007.

1. You used to need a gun to do stuff like that.
    Yikes.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

there's a somewhat crappy days inn, or thereabouts, on lasalle, near the rock n roll mickey d's that could be cheaper. my buddy lives by there and always tells people to try it in a crunch. also check out smaller hotels/inns up north in lakeview. i hear they're ok.

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

With round-trip air in the deal . .

4. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

If the Congress Hotel comes up as a cheap alternative, DON'T take it, unless you want to dodge strikers, and the presidential candidates who walk with them.

You might try some hotels that are in the Loop or River North areas, but aren't right on the Mag Mile. Right near my office, there's a Hampton Inn, a Courtyard, a Hilton Garden, and other suburban-ish brands that aren't going to be a night at the Budgetel, but might set you back less than something on one of the main drags.

5. Sandman

Sandman Member

vrbo.com

Vacation rentals by owner. You'll find a ton of downtown Chicago apartments/condos/lofts that can often be cheaper than a hotel room. I highly recommend it -- not just for Chicago, but for any other city where you are in need of a place to stay.

(And no. I don't work there.)

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Last time Mrs. t_b_f and I were there, we got a room at the Crowne Plaza on Michigan for $100 a night. I realize that's not close to Soldier Field. Just my $.02.

7. Rambler

Rambler Member

Don't do the Inn of Chicago.

The Marriott is okay and the Sheraton terrific.

8. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Well, if it's on Michigan, I'm pretty sure it won't be hard to find my friend's place. Not too many turns on that drive.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Oh, and don't forget, you can take a train. If you're in River North, you can hop on the Red Line at State and Grand, and take that to Roosevelt, which should put you a short walk from your friend's place.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sometimes you can get a decent rate at the Chicago Hilton (across from Grant Park), since it's so big. I couldn't get its online site to give me a price, though.

11. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

I think there is a highrise Red Roof Inn just off Michigan.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I am loving VRBO. This could be a good SportsJournalists.com outing option for large groups to stay fairly cheaply...

Draft saved Draft deleted