1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Jan 13, 2015.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't think too many people blame Harbaugh for the Niners missing the playoffs. They had injuries all over the place and they play in the league's best division, by far, IMO.

Considering what that franchise was before he got there, he deserves a lot of credit for turning that team around as quickly as he did.

2. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I ask this in all seriousness: Urban is an unusual first name. How the fuck did he get that?

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I still think he fronted Ultravox before turning to the glories of coaching football.

Vombatus likes this.
  4. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He's Roman Catholic. I believe he was named after a Pope.

5. micropolitan guy

Perhaps. The Seahawks also sucked before Carroll arrived. Not only has be won a SB, he's kept them atop the division. I think Harbaugh's an excellent coach, but also is someone whose reputation outweighs his actual accomplishments.

6. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Thanks. Just googled that and there are at last three, maybe eight, Urban Popes. Learn something new everyday....

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I wouldn't put a whole lot of stock in the 49ers this season reflecting poorly on Harbaugh -- the entire front office spent a whole year back-stabbing and sabotaging him in order to run him out. Very few if any coaches could win like that. They were also a very old team. Before this season happened, he was the first coach ever to take a team to a conference championship game three years in a row. They were a play away from winning a Super Bowl, with a quarterback who took over two-thirds of the way through the season for basically his first action ever. Those are pretty strong "actual accomplishments." I guess if it's CHAMPIONSHIP!!!11!1!11! or GTFO then that isn't enough.

Carroll the Seahawks have it going on with young talent and the perfect organizational model, primarily because they don't have a spoiled brat as a Snyder-type active owner. Worth noting, though -- Harbaugh's record in four seasons was 44-19-1. Carroll after four NFL seasons was 33-31.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

To compare coaches simply on record assumes all coaches have the same talent.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah, a flaw to be sure ... in the cases of Carroll/Harbaugh though, it seems the teams they took over were at roughly the same starting spot. (Not the post-Parcells Patriots, obviously.)

10. micropolitan guy

Not disputing that he's an outstanding coach. But I'd bet many assume he's won a SB (he didn't) or more than one bowl game (he hasn't).

11. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

It helps in recruiting inner city kids

12. spadjo martin

spadjo martin Member

Not going to put James Franklin among the top tier, but what he did at Vandy was darn good. I'd say he is in the 10-20 range.

Draft saved Draft deleted