1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer hates reporters.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Mar 24, 2010.

1. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

To a certain degree it is. Depending on the tone in which something is said, the same set of words can have different meanings.

"real QUARTERBACK" implies the new guy can really fling it.

"REAL quarterback" implies the previous guy was a glorified fullback.

2. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Blue font?

3. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Don't just read the quote. Read the entire story Fowler wrote. It doesn't throw Thompson under the bus. It's full of quotes Thompson made about his expectations for the season, including the differences between Tebow and Brantley when it comes to receivers like him. I thought it was a pretty fair story. If Meyer didn't like the quote, he should have clarified Thompson's remarks.

4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

"To sell papers"

What world are you in? Maybe -- and it's a stretch -- but maybe you could argue "to drive web traffic."

He didn't put it in the second paragraph or anything -- if anything, it should have been more prominently placed in the story.

Describing this as a "National Inquirer" treament is wrong in so many ways, the least of which is the spelling of National Enquirer.

I think it was plainly obvious what the quote meant, and I think part of it was a slight dig on Tebow.

Why should Foley "take pains to defend the player" in this case? These are not high school kids. We're talking about a scholarship athlete at a major Division I university. Give me a break.

In addition, I don't think it is Meyer's job to "clarify" the quote himself. This young MAN said what he said. He should stand by it, or clarify on his own.

5. Yes, scholarship athletes.. all of whom are polished public speakers.

Do I need a blue font here or is it obvious?

And who the fuck is Foley (to the fellow who pointed out my spelling)?

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Fair enough on the mistyping (Jeremy Foley being the Florida AD), but I just don't see why it's the media's job to care whether these Division I scholarship athletes can speak well. They're all put through media relations seminars, even field hockey and volleyball players at many major schools.

7. Jesus, he practically buried the quote, and hardly threw him under the bus. What the hell do you want him to do, just ignore what is a very telling quote? Fowler handled it perfectly.

8. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

There was nothing wrong with Fowler's story or blog. He didn't lead Thompson with the question either. I can understand a coach taking up for a player but Meyer acted like a dick — and he was wrong. I also don't like the comparison one poster made to Mike Gundy, who was right on the money with his rant.

9. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Well Gundy may have had more reason to complain than Meyer, certainly, but his reaction was over-the-top and didn't help him or his player's cause. Hence, the comparison.

10. Sounds like Urban needs to take another leave of absence and get his stress levels down. Can't wait to see how he handles the SEC season when he can't blame the media's criticism of Tebow for that national championship fail.

11. clutchcargo

clutchcargo Active Member

Exchange I would have liked to see/hear:

Meyer: "You're a bad guy. Do that again and Orlando Sentinel not welcome here."

Fowler: "Okay, coach, give me about 24 hours and I'll change my mind and take it all back. Capiche?"

12. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Solid.

I'd imagine this is just the first Meyer Meltdown now that Tebow is leaving.

Draft saved Draft deleted