1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Urban Meyer hates reporters.

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Versatile, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Part XIVXIXIVXIMXIV whatever

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_college_uf/2010/03/urban-meyer-uh-passionately-defends-deonte-thompson.html

I think we can all agree Meyer was out of line. Was Fowler out of line by writing this blog post? I've always heard the argument that the public doesn't care about reporters, but this is interesting even if you're not a journalist, I'd think.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Fine for a blog - and, yeah, Meyer was out of line.

3. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Meyer's being a baby. Reporter wasn't messing with the player by asking a perfectly logical question about his new QB vs. his old QB.

Shot at Meyer for upping his stress level against doctor's wishes might've been a little low. Great line, though.

4. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

The Sentinel's blog entry was a direct quote from Thompson. Why didn't Meyer just say Thompson felt bad about how it came out, and clarify what Thompson meant? Instead he goes off on some kind of Mike Gundy-like rant and ends up looking like a tool.

5. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Wish Fowler would have told Meyer, "Why do you care so much? Didn't you retire?"

6. accguy

accguy Member

The other thing was how the original blog post was written.

I can understand why Urban didn't like the player saying that (not the reporter's fault), but it wasn't like the reporter blew it up and gave it NY Post treatment. It was in the seventh or eighth paragraph.

If anything, the reporter could have written it way more aggressively.

Urban can suck it.

7. Jeremy's one of the best. He handled this well. Although, having been in this exact position (where the message-board tools are probably jumping on him) I don't envy the next 24-48 hours for Jeremy.

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Agreed with Ralph. Jeremy is a solid as they come for his age group and didn't do a damn thing wrong. What a dickhead Meyer was. I hope he tries to ban the Sentinel. The FWAA might have something to say about that.

9. I thought the reporter did a National Inquirer job with the quote.
    I understood what the kid was trying to say - I took it to mean a true pocket quarerback - but his words made it sound worse than it was. I do NOT think he was taking an intentional shot at Teebow. So I agree with Meyer on that point.
    If I was the reporter, I would take pains to defend the kid and his point, rather than play the-victim-of-Meyer card.

10. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

Should reporters start analyzing what they think a kid means in a quote? Fowler quoted Thompson's exact words. Not his fault if some people took that quote and ran with it. Meyer should have clarified Thompson's comments rather than act like an ass. It's not the reporter's place to suggest to the reader what Thompson "meant" rather than what he said.

11. Not saying they should analyze it - that's what column and blogs are for - but too read the quote you know what the kid was trying to say. No sense throwing him under the bus to sell papers - which is what the reporter did.

12. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Urban was out of line here. Plain and simple. (Disclosure: Worked/dealt with Jeremy in his younger days. Doesn't taint my opinion about this situation.)

Draft saved Draft deleted