1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Upscale restaurants: Not "family-friendly"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by buckweaver, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

To think that I don't belong in a nice restaurant with my family is a crock of shit, and you know it.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

A nice restaurant, sure.

An "upscale" restaurant, where people are paying for ambience as much as they are food? Not if your kid needs more-than-usual attention.

Just my opinion.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's about expectations as someone pointed out at the outset.

If you go to your local greasy spoon/dinner for Saturday morning breakfast and there are kids everywhere, that's the way it should be. If you're a customer and whining about it, then you're the one who has the problem. Eat at home.

However, if I'm at an upscale restaurant where you could buy three Big Mac combos for the prize of an appetizer, then, yeah, I expect NOT to have to listen to crying babies, kids who don't behave or parents who think it's their right to have kids running around.

4. I'm assuming you mean she would have said something to them. What would she have said?

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

You can bring the infant to a restaurant, but if it's a fairly expensive place and it's past 7pm, the infant needs to behave like an adult. Maybe you don;t understand it, but for many people a night out at an expensive restaurant is not a average occasion, but a rare exception. We don't need your screeching bundle of hell interrupting our 1 night a month without our kids.
    It's called manners and civility, thinking about others and how our actions affect those around us.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Manners, civility and etiquette are dead. Have been for a long time.

7. three_bags_full

Maybe you don't understand it, but for me a night at an expensive restaurant is not an average occasion, but a rare exception. We don't need you and your screeching drunken friends interrupting my 1 night a month out with my family.

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Three Bags, what places are you taking Hard but Fair?

I think there might be a breakdown in communication here.

In my opinion, if there is a kid next to me at Outback or the Cheesecake Factory, I won't even notice it.

But if there is a kid next to me at The Melting Pot, then I will notice it, and I won't like it.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i would expect management to remove screeching drunks from an upscale restaurant just like i would expect not to have to deal with a disruptive child.

10. three_bags_full

We don't eat at chain restaurants like Chili's, Cheesecake Factory or Outback.

I just don't understand why a kid next to you at the Melting Pot is a problem.

11. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's a pin-drop type of place.

The other places have a lot of noise and activity.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Really? All those women out for "girls' night out" are quiet as church mice?

The Melting Pot is one place I just don't get, but that's just me, and I'll save it for another topic.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.