1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updating the clip file

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Jul 21, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I'd always heard about the "too many" argument. Sending out a dozen was an attempt to balance variety with volume. In the future, thanks to these helpful tips, I'll be sure to trim it down a little.

2. I'm wondering if a three-part series counts as one clip. The job I'm applying for has a specific number of clips requested, so I don't want it to appear I'm sending more than asked. My guess is series count as one clip, but I thought I'd throw it out there to see what others think.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hell yes ... a three-part series counts as one. staple it together or use a paperclip.

4. scalper

scalper Member

Tailoring the package to the job is crucial. And the biggest part of this is understanding whether your potential boss will see you first as a reporter and then a writer, or as a writer and then a reporter. If it's a competitive beat, the reporting is what will get you hired. Assuming that you're not so bad as a writer that your stuff has to be fixed all the time.

Draft saved Draft deleted