1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I asked this on the college basketball thread last night, but I think it got swallowed by game chatter (or simply no one cared) so I'll ask it again here.

Has something changed with NCAA licensing that companies can now use actual team names and logos in their ads? I noticed the people in B-Dubs' "box out" ad had actual Michigan State jerseys on instead of a generic green and white one. Then in another ad there is a little girl with a Virginia jersey, another one has a crowd shot with fans in UConn gear, another has LSU stuff everywhere, etc.
    After seeing companies go to great lengths to avoid it for years, it's very noticeable when it's randomly popping up on every commercial break now. Especially since most of these commercials don't necessarily need it to get their message across.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Hell, there’s a State Farm ad with Caitlin Clark that’s practically a University of Iowa recruiting commercial. Not that I mind, of course …

sgreenwell likes this.
  3. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Heisman House uses school jerseys at least for some.

[​IMG]

That is from 2018. It looks like some are limitations, but Okie State and OU are genuine.

4. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

Whoever came up with that Buffalo Wild Wings commercial with the talking buffalo telling “box out,” “box out” should be shot into the sun.

tapintoamerica likes this.
  5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

It’s loud, violent and long.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Official team trademarks have been in ads for a hot minute now.

7. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

All of these Invesco commercials with rogue technology and the tagline “The future isn’t scary” leave me terrified of the future.

9. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

That commercial where all the people are making weird sounds to sell an iPhone have me slapping shit out of the way to reach the remote so I can mute it. And it's loud as fuck.

10. YMCA B-Baller

YMCA B-Baller Well-Known Member

We need to bring back 1880s train passengers to take care of the Buffalo Wild Wings buffalo.

Batman, I Should Coco and dixiehack like this.
  11. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I have a nephew who suffered a brain injury as a baby. He is now a functioning adult. Up until age 25, he would do this thing when he wanted to show you a new t-shirt, he'd pull it down/out from the bottom and show it to you.

I see the same thing every time Stanford Steve wants to show off a new t-shirt.

I don't think I've seen this commercial you reference however.

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

HATE THAT commercial

Draft saved Draft deleted