1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

I have a problem with any holiday-related ad that runs outside of the appropriate season. Now through the end of this month is the time for Halloween commercials. Everyone else, please wait your turn.

2. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

Well Happy Arbor Day to you too!

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  3. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

I have been seeing for at least a month the trailer for Last Christmas. While yes, it gave me a lot of hope during the month of September when DFW hit 90 degrees 29 of the 30 days in the month, but still. Chill on the trailer until at least mid-October. (I'm giving it that much room because apparently it's coming out the second week in November.)

ADanielPandR likes this.
  4. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

I had know idya what yuo were tawkin about but i juzt saw it n now i am typin thru gouged out eyez

5. ADanielPandR

ADanielPandR Member

And then there was Coffee-Mate breaking out its gingerbread-man commercial when it was still technically summer. Don't they have a pumpkin-spice product they can plug to pass the time?

6. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

The woman in that Gordon Ramsay commercial who says "Use a cocktail stick" in the worst British accent ever. AT&T, I think.

Whatever product they're shilling in the commercial that has millennials all shouting "YES!"

I miss the days of L'il Penny.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I think its great. She's obv an American who is trying to do a brit accent by imitating Ramsay, and does it poorly. Loved it.

Fred siegle likes this.
  8. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

The gum chomping alone makes this one pretty hideous. The rude, young for her years woman is hateful. It's right down there with the old Nike ad that showed a group of women jogging while they talked about what they wanted in a man. Brains? Character? Nope. They wanted cowboys with six-packs and chiseled features. As I observed back then, had it been a group of men saying they wouldn't settle for anyone who couldn't pass the pencil test or didn't look like a model, there would have been a backlash.

It doesn't make me want to buy insurance so much as it reminds me why I'd rather have dental surgery than go on a date.

9. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

How hard up is LaDainian Tomlinson for money that he a) partnered with Arby's and b) partnered with Arby's on a stake house. Also Arby's does steak houses? That's got to be awful.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

You do realize that this is a part of a series of "Flo's family" spots where it's her sister on a date with the guy from the previous series of guys that worked for another insurance company. Right?

Fred siegle and OscarMadison like this.
  11. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

I had no idea. Given the comments on their Youtube channel, it looks like I'm not the only one thinking she's a random rude beast on a blind date with a hapless dork. As a card-carrying hapless dork, I'm still turned off. Unless he's a kitten eating baby raper, her behaviour is uncalled for.

12. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The shtick is Flo's sister is a vapid, self absorbed Valley Girl who can't get off her cell phone. Other iterations include her claiming that she's really into biking while being on an elliptical while Flo is trying to sell her home owner's insurance. Of course she can't be bothered as she is busy trying to post selfies on Instagram. The hapless dork is among a duo of the other insurance company guys who keep trying to steal stuff from Progressive.

That all said, the gimmick really needs to go away. Flo's family is dumb and the competitor insurance guys are stupid. I personally like when they stick with Flo and the other Progressive employees. Jaime is actually kind of funny. Plus the girl who plays Mara is pretty cute.

Fred siegle likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted