1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Why do all of the TV commercials I see only show highly-educated people who speak well? I see Land Rover mommies on their Pelotons or chugging $5 coffees. Sharp men in their tight suits from Express walking into offices.

I feel that white trash and hood rats are VERY underrepresented in American television advertising. However, they're often the ones quickest to part with their money from advertising.

Fix this, ad agencies. Their lifestyles need to be seen!

2. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

A-That's the aspiration part of advertising. In a way, it's appealing to the white trash people. In a way, they want to have the money to be the thin people on their Pelotons drinking their expensive lattes.
    B-The other side of ads that are for that demographic are for fast food (KFC, Pizza Hut, Taco Bell) or are the Walmart ads touting layaway for the holidays that should be firing up any time now.

3. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Then again, if they realized that white men are still the spending majority in this country, they wouldn't treat them with such disdain.

Many commercials involving couples now have a white woman with a black man. And rarely is a white man portrayed as anything but a bumbling idiot, while the woman/minority is the genius/problem-solver/supervisor.

4. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Jesus Fucking Christ.

Yeah, white men have it real hard.

5. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

White conservative men longing for the media to love them is about as ridiculous as lefty politicians hoping that demographic will vote for them.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Sure they do. Haven't you ever seen an ADT commercial? White guys are always trying to break into occupied houses at all hours of the day and night. If it was so easy for them, would they have to resort to that?

7. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Peyton Manning is more annoying in his spots for Nationwide Insurance than he was in the ones for NFL Sunday Ticket.

8. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

The Sprint iPhone commercial with the Sprintern and the "party" can fuck itself with a cactus.

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

But a Carson Wentz/Prince Harry lookalike is in it, so that always entertains me.
    [​IMG]

10. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

It wouldn't even be that bad if it wasn't shown a dozen times during every game. That Mazda ad with the M83 song played at every freaking commercial break during UNC-VT last Saturday.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I've had it up to ---| here|--- with the Northwestern Mutual spots with the petulant 7-yr-old on vacation and the tween shrieking at her milquetoast dad mowing the lawn...so he bys her a pool. #DAAAAAYDUD!

12. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Those moments are priceless you know. And the dude mowing his lawn got the pool with all the bells and whistles.

I need to get a better money manager, apparently.

Draft saved Draft deleted