1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated thread - What TV commercial gets on your nerves?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Yawn, Dec 1, 2006.

1. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Yeah, I keep hoping that, as the old man takes one final look at his phone before the dive, someone runs into the picture and swipes it.

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  2. Spartan Squad

Spartan Squad Well-Known Member

The San Francisco Handlery Hotel has a spot where some dude talks about how relaxing the place is, the sights to see in the city and the convenient parking. After the spiel he goes on some tangent about wikileaks in SF is really some guy named Wiki taking a leak in a doorway. Because that is going to sell Frisco: Come see the Golden Gate, take a stroll through the Haight, have lunch in China Town and enjoy our homeless pissing throughout the city. I mean what in the actual fuck man?

Last edited: Dec 31, 2016
  3. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Earlier this week, I saw a local ad in which a man in a deer costume vandalized a car with a baseball bat. Twice. It reminded me why I'm glad I miss most of our local TV news due to working the desk.

Then again, I come from a home area where the dominant local TV station has sold an ad with a man portraying a superhero in a hollowed-out Sealy Posturepedic (duh-na-na-NAAAA! Mr. Mattress!) for the better part of 20 years.

spikechiquet likes this.
  4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

The Google Photos commercial with the repeated iPhone email sound. Please stop.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm still trying to figure out the point of the ad.
    My best guess is whoever came up with the idea had a few homers prior and this was their "passion project."

Another WTF spot is that password website with the kid crying while holding a hose....I. Don't. Get. It.

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dan Patrick (for some reason in a basketball arena) for Continental Tires.

"These seats aren't for watching the game. No, these seats are for participating."

Ugh. I believed in that kind of shit at 19. Know what I didn't have money for at 19? Name-brand performance tires.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Okay... that Humpty Dumpty Turbotax commercial is just creepy.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Jerry Rice for Popeyes chicken.

Even Tiki Barber running a barbershop thinks that's ridiculous

9. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

So if it was Joe Montana and not Rice...this commercial would be alright then? Stupid yes. Setting black people back "437 years" to slavery? Um...WHAT?!

10. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

I don't think I've ever seen a commercial for collard greens. Fuzzy Zoeller missed a marketing opportunity.

spikechiquet likes this.
  11. cisforkoke

cisforkoke Well-Known Member

I guess I lost my Social Justice Warrior card stamp for today. When I first saw that, my initial assessment was "amazingly ineffective and stupid." Only later did the "potential" of alleging racism occur.

Also, that's not a wing. It's a leg.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've read collards are going to be this year's kale.

Draft saved Draft deleted