1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

'Updated' - SF Chron Guys and Ellerman's Plea: Damning Dates, Revisited-*Videos*

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Re: The Chron Guys and Balco: New Damning Dates and Thoughts

Uh-oh. Doc, quick, hold her back.

2. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

No need to hold me back. That's all I'm saying.

3. Re: The Chron Guys and Balco: New Damning Dates and Thoughts

Rokski (not JDV)

Could you please summarize what transpired in 3 or four clear sentences? Please.

4. RokSki

RokSki New Member

JW, I'm working on it right now. Had to go and try to explain it to someone else, too.

Let me just say this: This is a bit difficult to get at first, but once you get it, it's unbelievably repugnant, especially on MFW's part. There may be a way for the Chron to clear themselves on this, but MFW, no way. He never thought Ellerman would cop this plea, and he's toast now, reputation-wise. Lance Williams, I don't know his level of knowledge here, so I can't say what his culpability is. I don't know what Lance knew. I know MFW transcribed the info from Ellerman, so he knew everything. That's why, for now, most of the blame lies at his feet. When I know different, I'll be happy to say so.

5. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Jason,

You are smart this is easy to follow:

1.) Balco defense lawyer illegally feeds MFW info on Tim Montgomery in June 2004

2.) MFW, LW, & Chron publish that knowing the source (and that at least the source was breaking the law (the actions, complicity, and circumstances (MFW transcribing the actual testimony from the written Grand Jury testimony at the lawyers office) - creates major liability for MFW and possibly even the Chron. Who really leaked? Did they both leak? Was this a consipiracy to leak & obstruct justice?).

3.) Balco lawyer then makes a motion (Oct 2004) to the judge to dismiss the case against his client DUE TO LEAKS HE HIMSELF GAVE UP TO MFW & Chron for which he blamed the gov & said he can't get fair trial.

4.) MFW & LW then knew this & knew the game NO LATER THAN THAT POINT (Oct 2004)

5.) In Nov 2004 Balco lawyer invited MFW to his office in Sac AGAIN to TRANSCRIBE WORD FOR WORD Grand Jury testimony from Bonds, Giambi, Sheffield, etc. AGAIN breaking the law and ALL of them were involved and ALL of them knew it & it all was part of a ruse to fool the court and get his client off for the lawyer. As to the motives for MFW - it seems perhaps to sell books & papers & get rich. As to LW's motives and potential liability - it is less clear but he was helping MFW with some articles and the book they did together so you can draw your own conclusions.

6.) Hearing on motion to dismiss was Dec 1, 2004

7.) Chron publishes GJ testimony Dec 3, 2004

8.) Judge Susan Illston gets pissed and tells Balco lawyer she knows something is dirty and alerts the Justice Department & FBI for an investigation

9.) Dec 28, 2004 motion to dismiss is denied

10.) Between 2004 and now MFW and LW take time off write their dirty book and go on a PR tour making money off of ILLEGALLY obtained information hoping & believing that the full truth would never come out since only Balco lawyer & they knew what really happened. Only the court & DOJ are not that dumb.

11.) This month plea agreement with Balco lawyer revealed much of the truth.

Rok and I did some researching & reporting to put all of the pieces together and uncovered the truth to how bad this is and the full timeline.

Look Jason, I can see where this can seem complicated but it is VERY important to understanding the motives to what really is going down with this story. It is all there for you to see with full citations. We did our best here. I would ask that you please read again if this summary is not effective as not everything can be summarized in 3 or 4 sentences.

JDV at your service!

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

This is not new. Sorry.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I read half of the first post on this thread, then fast-forwarded to the last post, the one by 21. Is there any reason for me to read anything else here?

8. spnited

spnited Active Member

C'mon 21. If Rok-Ski and JDV say this is news, this is relevant, and this is what actually happened.....who are we to disagree? ::)

9. John D. Villarreal

John D. Villarreal New Member

Sorry 21,

That is like saying Reese's already existed bc peanut butter and chocolate existed.

Most facts were known but NO ONE connected all the dots and looked through the court docs in detail, nor do most have my sources or legal knowledge & experience.

The KEY is the date that the motion to dismiss was filed & denied in conjuction with Ellerman's plea. This goes to motive, opportunity, damage, & obstruction of justice. That is the heart of this & the Chron obscured that fact. We pulled it all together.

Here is a Q - if this is all old news how come NO ONE REPORTED IT???!!

Rutten who destroys MFW & LW in the LA Times NEVER MENTIONS THIS.

We are the only ones who put all the evidence & the dates together!!!

JDV & Rok kicking as@.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Is that you flexing in your own avatar?

11. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Me? No. Those are polar bears.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

I, too, am sorry. For you.

In light of Ellerman's plea on 2.15, nobody - no one, and I've searched - has reported the relevant dates of Judge Illston's motion hearing (12.1.04) and her decision to deny the dismissal motion (12.28.04). In fact, we had to go back to 2004 to find that information reported. That is, nobody has brought it up since then. All they brought up was the date Ellerman filed for the dismissal, and that MFW got the Bonds stuff after that date. I have to side with JDV here on the Reese's example: The chocolate and the peanut butter existed, but nobody put them together. That's what's new. Not only did we put the dates together, we also gave the unfortunate but inescapable interpretation those 'rediscovered' dates provided: MFW is dirt, and so, too, apparently are LW and the Chron. That's not new, but the extent, elaboration, and corroboration of it is very new, in light of Ellerman's plea.

The way that the Chronicle chose to report on the plea agreement and MFW's going back to get the Bonds+ grand jury testimony was to try to highlight that MFW did it after the motion to dismiss was filed (10.8.04), like that clears MFW et al of being complicit in the attempted obstruction of justice the second time around.

These 'rediscovered' dates of 1) the hearing for the motion to dismiss the trial and for 2) the judge's ruling to deny the dismissal are as germane to this discussion as is the date when Ellerman filed the dismissal motion. They are critical. They show that MFW not only didn't do 'the right thing' by waiting after the motion to dismiss was filed to go get the Bonds info, he helped Ellerman by waiting. And the Chron published the Bonds info before the judge had made her ruling. This is absolutely critical to understanding the motive of the people involved. Does anyone think it's coincidental that the hearing to dismiss was 12.01.04 and the Chron published (foolishly, unless they discussed it with the judge) the Bonds, etc. info on 12.3.04. The evidence is right there.

I can't wait to hear what Ellerman has to say this June at his court date. I hope he elaborates on all of this.

Because this updated and more comprehensive timeline, combined with the information from Ellerman's plea, makes things look even worse for MFW and crew than has been previously reported. The hearing to dismiss date and the judge's ruling on the dismissal date cast a far, far darker cloud over our journalistic brethren. And that cloud wasn't exactly bright to begin with, in light of Ellerman's plea. This is going to get uglier, folks.

Draft saved Draft deleted