1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED JULY 10: Tim Sullivan to Courier-Journal

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KYSportsWriter, Jun 4, 2012.

1. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Re: Eric Crawford, Rick Bozich leaving the Louisville Courier-Journal

Not the C-J. Didn't you read above?

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I applaud Craig as well. It's good to see editors stick up for his/her staff and publication.

However, to piggyback on IJAG's point, to lose a long-time columnist is to lose innate institutional knowledge. And that knowledge cannot be replaced. No matter what you say or who you bring in.

I would put good money on the fact most of us can name off the journalists we grew up reading in our hometown newspapers, and once they left in some capacity (new job, retirement, layoff, etc.), then that publication was never quite the same.

3. Creig Ewing

Creig Ewing Member

This will be my last post on the subject because I don't want to contribute any more typos, but our editor made a point to say in print that we will replace both.

We aren't planning to replace them with clerks.

Granted, those are some tough shoes to fill because they always willing to do whatever was needed beyond their columns -- tackle a project, write an A1 story, shoot video, host a webcast, reach a reluctant source for a reporter, etc.

But we'll go on, and I'll miss them more because they're both great guys.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

The KC Star is the big one for me. I used to read it daily and now, I go to the site and while the beat writers are all excellent, the reason I was going was for the columnists. It's the reason I still read the LA Times probably more than any other paper out there... Because that's one of the few places that has seemed to keep its top columnists...

I kept reading the C-J after Forde left because of Bozich.

5. Mizzougrad96

I respect you defending your staff, but I don't envy the task you have ahead of you...

Go hire Tim Sullivan and Jerry Tipton. Then we'll be singing your praises here... :D

6. imjustagirl

I would not. But my anti-Tipton bias is well known. :D

7. Mizzougrad96

I'm sure it's completely justified... I have a couple well-known writers who were assholes to me when I was young who I haven't forgiven either... Hell, I had a feud on here with one of them... :D

8. imjustagirl

You having a feud with someone doesn't really limit it down. :D

9. imjustagirl

Also, to clarify, it's not just that I think Tipton can be a bit surly. I just don't enjoy his writing. Everyone who swears by his Sunday notebooks, I find it to be a waste of a full page, filled with tidbits and things that don't matter and aren't interesting. I hate UK, so I'm not in any way all "he's so mean to the Wildcats" that most UK fans are. I just ... don't get the love.

10. imjustagirl

It was sarcasm based on Ewing's continued statements that nothing has changed with the C-J in the past 10 years.

11. Dave Kindred

Dave Kindred Member

Eric Crawford explains:

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.wdrb.com%2Fstory%2F18707594%2Feric-crawford-why-i-walked-away-from&h=2AQEtXtO0

12. imjustagirl

Apparently Eric didn't ask Ewing.

Draft saved Draft deleted