1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Updated: Gizmodo stole Steve Jobs' thunder (new iPhone debuted today)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Rumpleforeskin, Apr 19, 2010.

1. Re: Steve Jobs must be pretty unhappy right now (new iPhone leaks)

That's not what I'm saying... I'm saying it'd be different than the sale of a physical item, which is what all this is over. The "value of the paper" thing was just my (ill-conceived and awkward and probably incorrect) way of pointing out how the two things are totally different, for exactly the reason you say: the value is what's on the paper, not the paper itself. So it's a different issue than this, where the value (as far as the law is concerned) is the physical item.

2. Re: Steve Jobs must be pretty unhappy right now (new iPhone leaks)

Okay, I've done a little more research and it looks like the issue of valuing something like this is more complicated than I thought. So I'm just going to take back everything I said and stop talking out my ass. Sorry.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Re: Steve Jobs must be pretty unhappy right now (new iPhone leaks)

No need to apologize. I just think it's interesting.

4. Re: Steve Jobs must be pretty unhappy right now (new iPhone leaks)

Wired has a story quoting someone from the Electronic Frontier Foundation saying that materials can't be seized (at least not in the normal way) from a journalist, even if they themselves are being investigating for committing a crime:

http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/iphone-raid/

So according to the EFF, even if getting this info from the journalist is allowed, they didn't go about it the right way. Interesting.

5. Jim_Carty

Jim_Carty Member

If the prosecutor is pursuing Gizmodo or one of its employees for committing an actual crime (as opposed to covering something) it's debatable whether the shield law would offer any protection. It's a question that really hasn't been asked or answered to this point.

6. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

So, who wants one?

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Woz weighs in.

http://gizmodo.com/5523673/steve-wozniak-on-apple-security-employee-termination-and-gray-powell?skyline=true&s=i

8. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Holy hell... Woz's shirt... Hilarious.

I. Want. One.

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

My 3G battery just died and I sent it out to get a battery replacement rather than the 3GS because I know the 4G will be worth it.

10. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Mr. "Finders Keepers" unveiled, and — SURPRISE! — he really didn't go out of his way to return it to its owner, as suspected. I mean, even if he had called Apple customer service, as previously reported, he lives about nine miles away from Cupertino. If it were me and the phone call didn't work, I would've shown up at Apple HQ with it.
    Anyway:
    http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2010/04/iphone-finder/

11. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Apparently streaming video over 3G is horrendous compared to WiFi. I stopped at Best Buy the other day and I have to say, while it's a cool concept, I was not overly impressed with it. Maybe it's because I have a Touch and that's all it really is, just bigger.

12. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

If I find a Sony product am I supposed to sail to Japan to return it?

Draft saved Draft deleted