1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATED 7-12: Boy or Girl? Mrs. CI gets a sonogram.

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CentralIllinoisan, Jun 15, 2006.

1. CentralIllinoisan

CentralIllinoisan Active Member

UPDATE: The name will live on!

Mrs. CI and I was having a bouncing baby BOY, who will go by the name Jacob Quinn.
    We got confirmation today with the newest sonogram. The baby is healthy in every way: 10 inches long, 14 ounces. In fact, the sonogram technician feared we had a child with three legs -- 33 percent of his body weight is penis and scrotum.

All systems are go for baby boy launch in late November. I don't have to paint the spare room; it's already a dark khaki with navy blue trim. We bought antique walnut furniture and will be decorating the baby's room with a (what else?) puppy dog theme.

Let the vicarious living begin!

ORIGINAL POST FROM JUNE 15:
    We went to the doctor in hopes of finding out what ungodly color we'd be painting the spare room.
    One question: What do you get when you mix pink and blue? One more doctor's visit and were we knew no more than we did coming in.

Mrs. CI and I watched as the sonogram pulsed, the technicians fingers tickling the keys and punching buttons, spinning the half-sphere like someone playing a gynecological version of Golden Tee.
    No dice.
    Our young child didn't want me to know which of my homemade onesies my wife would get to open when she left the doctor's office. The blue-lettered "JAKE" with a uniform-style No. 1 on the back? Or the yellow "ANNIE" onesie with the phrase, "My First Outfit" on the front?

Its head down, pointing toward the exit (we'll need that in five months; not now), this sleight-of-genitalia artist was as crafty as they come. We saw legs. We saw arms. We saw and heard a heartbeat so glorious this old man's eyes teared up.
    But no gender. Maybe.

"Looks like you might have a little boy, but I'm not sure," the technician said, unsure.
    I'm nothing if not ignorant about picking privates from a blurry black-and-white image -- but common sense and a keen eye had me pointing out what I thought to be a set of ill-defined globes, right there between what she just told us were his thighs. I'm no doctor, but ...

Wife was upset, as was I. We're beyond happy the baby is well on its way to heading into our lives on time and healthy as any baby sired by me can be.
    But we want to call the baby by its name. We want to start decorating its room, buying clothes, letting my wife prepare for the idea of her being outnumbered 3-to-1 by males. Me, Murphy, and Jake.
    "I'll have a house full of dirty boys," my wife says at the prospect the technician is right, and a baby boy is headed our way in November. "But I'll love every one of them."

Love is right, be it boy or girl.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Re: Boy or Girl? Mrs. CI gets a sonogram

On to the important things: How does your dog feel about it?

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I was wondering the same thing.

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My sister's oldest was of undetermined sex until she had to have like a third ultrasound to check for a congentital birth defect that runs in my bro-in-law's family, so there's still a chance to figure it out, CI.

Congrats, and I'm praying for you to have a healthy baby, whatever its sex.

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Not to worry, CI. I'm in my 30s and most people who see me naked still can't tell what I am. And I've lived a mostly productive life.

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

If your dog doesn't take to the baby real well, there are always prospective parents looking to adopt baby boys.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whatever you do, don't photoshop Murphy's head onto the sonogram.

8. CentralIllinoisan

One Jake or Annie is born, Murphy will be taking a backseat. And we'll have a whole new cinema selection.  ;D

9. CentralIllinoisan

That's sacreligious. :mad:

I don't have the sonogram scanned in.

10. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

My apologies.

What's taking ya?

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

And you've lived a mostly productive life despite having a sign for a face. :D

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

This might mean that you've lost the hitability factor for Cadet and I, you know.

Draft saved Draft deleted