1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update: Vermont legislature overrides governor veto; legalizes gay marriage

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by budcrew08, Apr 3, 2009.

1. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Didn't see it on the sports and news board, didn't look on the politics board, so if it's a d_b, sorry.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20090403/NEWS03/90403002

But a veto's forthcoming:

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20090403/NEWS03/90403012

EDIT: Links.

2. Re: Vermont's House advances gay marriage bill; governorveto could be Monday

The bill passes with clear majorities in both house, but Douglas is going to veto it so it won't be "a distraction."
    They're not even trying hard any more.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Re: Vermont's House advances gay marriage bill; governor's veto could be Monday

The governor's "problem" is that both the house and senate likely have the numbers to override his veto. And there's a good chance that any senator or congressmen who prevents that won't be reelected.

4. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

He's a pain in the ass... he's also going to be irrevelant eventually. Good for Vermont (and Iowa) for advances people's civil rights.

5. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

It would make me happy to see a state get it through via the legislature, but I've always been of the belief that civil rights aren't something that should be put up to a vote.

Bully for Vermont!

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

The latest poll I read said about 55 percent of Vermontonians? -ers? were OK with gay marriage. So the Governor will be overriding the will of the people and the will of the legislature voted in by the people?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, but maybe he'll get to be president some day with that kind of anti-gay resume in his back pocket.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

And that's exactly what I was saying earlier. My folks live in Burlington and have gotten into VT politics (from an observer's side, that is). They were telling me that it might actually be higher than the 55 percent polled.
    That tells me that a Governor veto is not going with the "will of his people." It also tells me what I said before: That any state senator or congressman who votes down a possible veto override vote won't be around for much longer.

And Ace, is that sort of like Gov. Mark Sanford in SC saying he's running for a national office after helping to further drown the state that is already No. 2 in the country (percentage-wise) in unemployment? I think I'm missing something...

9. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Vermonters. And that made me laugh since I've seen Anchorman about 7 times.

And to your question: Yup. That's exactly what he's going to do.

10. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

He's been at Obama's side a good amount of time recently since he's the Vice-Chairman of the Republican Governors Association (actually it might be the national one; can't remember off the top of my head).

11. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

Maybe Vermont could write gay marriage IN to its constitution. That would make some people's heads explode :D

12. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Good for Vermont; I don't think the gov's veto stands a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted