1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: ISU prez green lights chap... er, "life skills assistant" propsosal

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by D-3 Fan, Jun 1, 2007.

1. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

I would challenge you to find examples where having an FCA minister hanging around has caused rifts between players. And spare me the -- "I talked to one player who said" bullshit.

The guy isn't being paid by the school, it isn't a problem. Period.

2. zagoshe

No Zeke didn't quote the scripture in its proper context -- not even close. His use of that particular passage out of context shows a fundamental lack of understanding about that passage, about what it actually means and who Jesus was speaking to.

Now, I'm sure I shouldn't argue with you since you are a biblical scholar and all but the rest of your drival is typical left-wing and atheistic nonsense and more importantly, it once again proves that you and those who share your views, the ones who run around the country spouting off about who you are all the models of "enlightment" and "tolerance" ar every bit as intorelant and bigotted when it comes to Christians and Evangelicals as you claim they are.

Religion and politics are inseperable and they will always will be, regardless of how many different ways liberals want to "hijack" -- to use your word -- the first amendment to make it mean something different than what the founding fathers might have had in mind.

And before you bring out some quote from Thomas Jefferson or someone else you believe saw things your way, there are entire web-sites full of quotes from founding fathers who believed religion did have a part in politics, so spare me.

Your intolerance and willingness to mock good people with differing views is every bit as bad, if not worse than the the intolerance of the people you spend half your days pointing your fingers at.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not a shot at all.

Appreciative of your style, was all...

4. Re: Iowa State football to consider hiring a chaplain

If you're keeping score at home, there isn't a single substantive argument in this post. (And, a hint for you, a lot of those "quotes" from the Founders on those lists are fake -- there's a famous one from Madison that he never said. Pass it on.) There is not a single thing in any of my posts that is remotely atheistic.
    A pile of adjectives is not an argument.
    Work harder, please.

5. zagoshe

Of course, the old "everything that goes against what I want so badly to be reality is false, forged, faked, made up, didn't really mean that, or out of context [unless it is one of us quoting scripture, then whatever context we want it to be will be]" excuse.

You are ridiculous.

And I'm still waiting for you or Zeke to start a thread chastising Hillary Clinton for playing the "God" card the other day and talking about her spiritual relationship with God helping her through her husband's infidelities --- which is amazing because I could have sworn his infidelity was fiction that was fabricated by a vast Right-Wing conspiracy --- and while we're at it why not start a thread chastising all of the Democrats for invoking God into politics, or as usual, are you going to give us your "that's different because its just different" bullshit rationalization.

I'll say it again, religion and politics are inseperable and BOTH SIDES know it and play the same card from different angles. To deny this idiocy and the fact that you can quote Thomas Jefferson doesn't change this fundamental fact.

http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=070605132731.tsx2cr5l&show_article=1

So when can we expect a thread about Democrats hijacking religion, invoking religion into politics or combining religion and politics? I'll be waiting

6. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Fenian is right -- the folks who continually talk about the "personal relationship with Jesus" lose me real fast. I would say elitist is a polite word. Arrogant would better describe it. Now, that is not to say I have not been friends with people who claim to be "born again," but they have had enough decency to know the limits of bringing it to the attention of some people.

Some do know the limits. Some don't, and the ones who don't lose me real fast.

7. zagoshe

Oh, I get it now -- you and Fenian are now the authorities on what people are or are not allowed to believe in? Sorry, the Evangelicals must have missed that memo.

Who in the hell are you to call anyone arrogant for their religious or spiritual beliefs? If you don't believe the same way, so be it but why should we not be surprised. I'll say it again for the cheap seats -- this is yet another example of the hypocrisy of people on the left who claim to be the "enlightened" and "tolerant" yet are far more intolerant and bigoted against anyone whose spiritual and or religious beliefs they deem to be a little too fanatical or conservative.

I know, I know James Madison once said.......

Still waiting for a thread about how awful and horrible the Democratic presidential candidates are -- complete with the hysteria and paranoia -- for invoking God and religion into politics....

And still wondering -- if Bill Clinton's infidelity was the figment of the right-wing conspiracists imagination, why did Hillary need God to help her through it all?

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Take your pills, zagoshe.

9. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Just my newbies' 2 cents (if that) worth...

1. A good chaplain/pastor is a wonderful source of counsel and support for anyone, Christian or nonChristian, Baptist or Catholic. They don't just thump the Bible, they're good listeners too, and often far less judgmental than some outspoken members of their flock.
    How's that anything but an asset for a college student who's away from home, especially one with the pressures and demands of an athlete?
    I can't see why the idea of having a football team chaplain paid for with private funds is so offensive to some.

2. I don't want to get involved in a spitting match but "personal relationship with Christ" is not elitist or arrogant. Not even close, though some might take an overly superior tone in using the phrase. There are immature Christians, too, you know? And sometimes they're the most vocal.
    It's just what it says, personal. I've never thrown that phrase around, but if I did, it would just mean that I pray regularly and ascribe to a certain New Testament-based belief.

10. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

BtR, it is rather simple. There is a high probability that the coach will use this externally funded chaplain to force the students towards his religion. "If you aren't talking to the chaplain, you are going to get less playing time."

There you go.

No chaplain.

11. Born to Run

Born to Run Member

Well, I respectfully disagree, Pastor. Not if they bring in the right pastor and take the appropriate approach.
    But I can see why some would have those fears.
    I just think it's more of a case-by-case issue than a black-and-white one. That was the point I was trying to get across.

12. zagoshe

Yeah, that happens, you are on to something with this one. Sounds like an enterprise story to uncover the the truth --

Coach says to player "You are my best running back, we have our biggest game of the year and my future is tied to us winning a lot of games, especially this one, but because you missed chapel I'm going to play John Q. Whiteguy who is a walk-on and is on the fifth string but he is the same religion as me."

Give me a fucking break.

And Zeke, still waiting for you to take the Democrats to task for invoking religion into the presidential campaign since you and Fenian have deemed yourselves the gatekeepers of separation of church and state (a phrase that does not exist in the constitution by the way)......Oh I forgot "that's different"

Draft saved Draft deleted