1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: Hotel information on page 8 for Charlotte Gathering

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spup1122, Apr 18, 2007.

1. Re: Possible Charlotte Outing?

Oh, but definitely no strip clubs. I like being married.

2. Re: Possible Charlotte Outing?

Wow, no responses ... I feel sorta like this :)

[​IMG]

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: Possible Charlotte Outing?

i'd like to come and possibly could if it were on the far side of six weeks. unlike write, though, i'm about anything and everything that includes debaucheryousness.

4. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Just in case the hacks at the New York Times didn't get the reference ... ;D

5. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

A.) If you go on a race weekend, good luck finding hotel rooms for less than about $200 a night anywhere you'd stay. It's not AS bad in Charlotte because it's a big city...but they jack up the prices BIG time. And traffic will suck. And you'll see way too many of The Great Unwashed.

B.) It would have to be a gathering. Outings are (per Moddy) only the summer trips that involve baseball, held once a year. Everything else is a gathering. I guess he patented it or something.

C.) I'm out. Moving, trying to save money for Dallas this summer, and trying to save money for the future in case my life were to drastically change. Have fun, however.

6. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Re: Possible Charlotte Gathering?

B) is correct. This subject line must be changed immediately, as per SportsJournalists.com Bylaw 5.1.0.9(b).

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

who is Charlotte and why do you want to out her?

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Officially, we want to gather her.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

hmmmm

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Depending on when, I might could make this. I usually spend a week in June or early July visiting family an hour outside Charlotte, and if everything breaks right, I could do it. It hasn't broken right for me any other time, but this could be a first!

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

I'd really like to go. But I will need to know when it is ASAP to see if I can get time off.

Worst case, I can finagle a day off and make a day trip of it. I'm not next door but it's not too insane.

Also, follow IJAG's advice. DO NOT - I repeat DO NOT - even think about going during a race weekend. Traffic is awful and prices of everything in Charlotte metro is worse.

If you want a sporting event, try a Charlotte Knights baseball game in nearby Fort Mill, about 10-15 miles from downtown just over the South Carolina border.

P.S.: If this becomes reality and I can go, can someone bring a camera? I've yet to get a photo with the statue of Sam Mills at the stadium. I can't stand having my photo taken, but I should make an exception for this.

12. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Is one month from now too early for some of you? May 18-20 or something like that? I can't make it too late in June because of the wedding, and we may be moving out of the area. The "ghost" planner and I have talked about this for a couple weeks. We probably should have posted it then.

Draft saved Draft deleted