1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: English apologizes: EMU's Ron English offends single mothers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 8, 2010.

1. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Obvious? In his two years as DC at Michigan, they had one of the best run defenses in the nation, and even though a solid group of players was there at the time and might have excelled under a lot of coaches, these were the numbers:

2006 (English’s first year as DC at Michigan): 10th total defense, 268.31 yards per game, 15th scoring defense, 15.9 points per game

2007 (English’s second year as DC at Michigan ): 24th total defense, 335.69 yards per game, 23rd scoring defense, 21.4 points per game

Those were improvements for Michigan and earned him a rep as a a good defensive coach. If I remember, after Carr got axed, he got a sniff for the HC job at Arkansas because he was well regarded enough. I think the sentiment was that he wasn't ready for an HC job. But it was no accident that Steve Kragelthorpe was impressed enough by his record at Michigan to offer him the DC position at Louisville. He had a rep as an excellent defensive coach. The interest for jobs was certainly there.

2. WolvEagle

WolvEagle Well-Known Member

Bravo to Ron English for apologizing:

http://www.annarbor.com/sports/eastern-michigan-football-coach-ron-english-apologizes-for-addresses-controversial-comments/

3. WolvEagle

IJAG - Thanks for agreeing with me. The kid doesn't choose his or her circumstances.

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

and a College scholarship is not a god given right.

5. WolvEagle

No, it isn't.

Just don't discriminate against someone because they're in a situation not of their choosing. That's all I'm saying.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Almost any reason you could have for not giving a kid a scholarship would not be of their choosing.

7. WolvEagle

In the interest of fairness, Ron English wrote a letter to the editor to AnnArbor.com. He said his quote was taken out of context.

http://www.annarbor.com/news/opinion/quotes-were-taken-out-of-context-on-single-parenting/

Draft saved Draft deleted