1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UPDATE: English apologizes: EMU's Ron English offends single mothers

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Hank_Scorpio, Aug 8, 2010.

1. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Re: EMU's Ron English offends single mothers

Oh it may definitely be true, but for English to actually say it, with one of his major recruiting bases 40 miles down the road, it can be career suicide.

Of course, taking the job in the first place was probably career suicide.

2. rtse11

rtse11 Well-Known Member

Gloria. James. Period.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Whether the assertion is true or not, it's plain stupid to go out of your way to alienate any portion of your recruiting pool, especially at an FCS backwater like Eastern Michigan

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Most of the time better to have two parents, the exception probably being if one is really abusive or what not. sure, plenty of kids come from single-parent homes and they make the best of the hand their dealt. Bravo for them and their parent. Is it the best possible world?

I'd like to know the context in which this was said. Was it a response to a direct question? I dunno. But it seems more and more often these days reporters try to ask loaded questions and then villify the subject for what they say in response.

5. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I wasn't born with athletic talent. Why should I be punished in not being able to get an athletic scholarship? Life isn't fair and college football isn't fair.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Is what English said "true" in the sense that it would be easier for him (or any coach) to handle a team made up of nothing but happy, content, perfectly adjusted youngsters from Beaver Cleaver households?

Well, no shit Sherlock.

We live in the real world, where the divorce rate is 50%. And out-of-wedlock births 25% or some such outlandish figure.

English at EMU has to scramble for any remotely competent D-I athletes he can get. He can't afford to turn anyone down who isn't facing current murder charges. And of course his comments are an insult to every player currently on his team from one-parent households, as well as their parents.

After you go 0-12, anything and everything you bring up sounds like a mewling excuse. STFU and win a game or two.

7. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Ron English's football team offends football fans.

8. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Dead. To. Me.

9. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

My Phil Steele CFB preview epic arrived today. Looked up the EMU football attendance. They had games that drew between 1,500 and 3,000 in 2009.

How in the heck are they still in the MAC?

10. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

Not exactly. What if Daddy ran out after a couple of years of wedded bliss?

Anyway, what about single parent families when it's just the father involves]d?

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

In all fairness, it's an FBS backwater, not an FCS one; I stand corrected. So there's that, at least.

12. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I went to a basketball game there a few years ago during a snowstorm. There couldn't have been more than 200 people in their beautiful (not joking, it really is a nice place ) arena. I felt like a creep to even clap, because it echoed across the arena.

The coaches couldn't talk too loud during time-outs. Every time a coach pulled a player over to the sideline, you could hear the discussion.

I'm not sure there's a Division I school that cares less about its teams than EMU.

Draft saved Draft deleted