1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Update about high school fantasy football

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Rosie, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

2. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

... From the Denny Hastert School of Reasoning and Public Relations ...

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

That was a damn good column. Unfortunately, the people who could learn something from it have their heads so far up their asses...

4. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Nice column.

While I'm all for putting insane prep parents in their place, wasn't this in bad form? Wouldn't the Pioneer Press be better served running a short story/blurb, rather than calling out (and likely alienating) a portion -- albeit small portion -- of its readership?

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

You're probably right ... but at some point, isn't truth a good defense?

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Exactly what I was thinking.
    But hell, if you have the proper venue to open it up, go for it.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

The more I've dealt with parents/fans like this, the more I understand they would look at this column and not even recognize themselves in it.

They're oblivious to how they sound ... which makes them even more of a caricature.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I really liked the column, though it will definitely piss a few people off. I think too much was made of this issue to quietly end the fantasy football league with just a blurb. They had to address why it was being done.

The one argument that bugs me most, and also seems to bug Bass the most, is the one about highlighting individuals too much over the team. He's right. It's ridiculously out of date. One of the things athletes compete for is attention, as individuals and as a team. We're supposed to stand out in this country. It's a good thing.

If you don't like not standing out, get better or get over it. That's cold, but it fits with the ideals we cling to in this country. And I say this having never stood out during my own days as a high school athlete. But I knew why. I just wasn't as good as the guys getting all the attention and I could handle it. That's just life.

Draft saved Draft deleted