1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up to no good at Union-Trib?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 12, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

From The Pipeline, if anyone knows more please advise:

Looks like things are moving at the Union-Tribune.

The talk is layoffs, possibly starting tomorrow, of 250-850 total and as many as 40-50 in the newsroom. Managers supposedly meeting today to discuss.

2. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

If anyone thinks equity groups are anything but vampires in a turnip patch, here's proof.

3. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

And lest anybody miss this, this is one of the companies looking at buying the Globe.

4. The No. 7

The No. 7 Member

Today is layoff day, from what I heard. Don't know anything else. I have a friend who works there.

5. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

The ax is falling again:

www.voiceofsandiego.org/

www.nctimes.com/business/article_5bf447e2-1a3f-57fa-a17d-b83d30fc99d8.html

6. gutenberg

gutenberg Guest

The other thread says the Union-Trib got rid of their MLB writer shortly after baseball season began. So by that logic, it reasons the NFL writer should be packing up his notebooks this time.

7. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I doubt that, since they've lost two NFL writers in the past year, one to SI and the other to retirement. I don't think either was replaced. But they did lose one of their college writers on the eve the season beginning.

8. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

My understanding, unfortunately, is sports will get hit hard.

9. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Like many papers, the U-T sports section is a skeleton of its former self. I can't imagine how they can look at their staff and see a ton of expendable parts.

But management types seem to have that gift.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

http://www.sdnn.com/sandiego/2009-08-12/news/local-county-news/downtown-hillcrest-mission/san-diego-union-tribune-announces-layoffs

Sports innovation editor Chuck Scott is the only sports name I see so far. But this is not the full list.

Eight web guys (including an online advertising rep) were laid off. So this equity firm obviously has no fucking clue what direction they want to go.

11. RustyHampton

RustyHampton Member

Sadly, I see a sports name in there. Former sports editor Chuck Scott

Feature writer Jennifer Goodwin, sports innovation editor Chuck Scott, web application developer Jay Wood and senior web designer Noah Albrecht were among those let go Wednesday, sources said.

12. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Chuck Scott is one of the top 2 editors I have worked for in 39 years in this biz.

Draft saved Draft deleted