1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up next, Charleston

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Feb 6, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Seven in the newsroom, one in sports we're now told below.
    http://charleston.net/news/2009/feb/06/post_and_courier_eliminates_25_jobs/

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

One in sports, and just a month after they hired a sports writer.

The good news (if there is such a thing when someone loses his/her job) is that the severance package was above average compared with industry trends.

3. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

Any idea who they lost in Sports? I got a few friends over there. PM me if you don't want to post it on here.

4. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Charlie Bennett is your answer in sports, it would appear...

http://www.charleston.net/blogs/gamecocks/2009/feb/06/0206-charlie/

5. SCEditor

SCEditor Active Member

If I'm correct, Charlie was covering the College of Charleston. In the past, the Post and Courier hadn't had a full-time CofC beat writer, but had a few other people handling it and people at the college didn't like not having its own beat writer. I never really knew Charlie, but I did read a lot of his work. I hope he lands on his feet.

6. ianguerin

ianguerin New Member

Let me be the next to wish nothing but the best for Charlie during his post-P&C days.
    Charlie's a hell of a dude and routinely went out of his way to help me out when I was covering South Carolina in the Fall of 2004. He introduced me to sources, made sure I knew my way around the football landscape and always had a place for me to stay when I didn't have it in me to drive back to Anderson after all those long days in Columbia.
    As proof by what Travis Haney wrote in his blog on the P&C's site, I wasn't the only one Charlie made sure was comfortable.
    Best wishes, Charlie.

7. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Fuck.

Me and Charlie are boys from his time in N.O.

Great dude.

Sonuvafuckinbitch.

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Uh-oh ... I hope one friend of mine is OK there.

I think he switched over to news, but 25 is a lot of cuts. And while I had never met Charlie, I had heard these kind of stories about him before this ugly announcement.

Hang in there, Charlie - and Charleston.

9. FreddiePatek

FreddiePatek Active Member

Charlie is a terrific, terrific guy. I know more than a few folks in South Carolina who are going to miss seeing him around. He could be a freelancer extraordinaire, if he so chooses. Whatever he does, I wish him all the best.

10. The Granny

The Granny Guest

His name sounds really familiar to me for some reason. I wish him luck and give him a warm hug.

Draft saved Draft deleted