1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Up in the Air

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Elliotte Friedman, Dec 7, 2009.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

The book has almost nothing to do with the movie, as I understand it, other than the basic setup.

2. lisa_simpson

lisa_simpson Active Member

Funny you should mention that - it's actually a body double in her nude scene.

3. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

LA Times says (and makes a case for, it must be said) that there's some hanky-panky about who wrote the movie.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/01/james-cameron-jason-reitman-anthony-minghella-avatar.html

More importantly, Vera Famiglia grew up in Passaic, NJ, near the Clifton border, meaning she was close to the best hot dogs on God's green earth, Rutt's Hut.

4. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

the more top movies i see from 2009, the more i dislike this movie and its cliches. it had way more potential. vera famiglia's character/situation was predictable. clooney was fine. but he was much cooler in the fantastic mr. fox.

5. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Lisa,

I knew it!

EF

6. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

actually born in passaic, grew up in clifton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vera_Farmiga

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Saw it. Clooney was very good. It's true that only he could carry that role. It required a kind of smooth that he has. The concept for the story is good (I haven't read the book), but I thought the movie was really uneven and poorly done in some scenes. I did like that the ending wasn't all Hollywood. That helped. In feel, the movie was a bit like Lost in Translation to me, but if I was comparing the two, I'd say Lost was a far superior film. Unlike some on this thread, I find Vera Farmiga incredibly attractive.

8. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

Ah, thanks. Passaic is where the hospitals are, so her parents were probably living in Clifton. Nearer Rutt's Hut!

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Agree with you 100% I was astonished that some people found her totally unattractive.

10. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

She looks to me like she's had bad plastic surgery. I'm not a guy (nor am I attracted to women) so what do I know?

11. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Exactly. You're a dingy broad. What do you know?

She's definitely had plastic surgery -- the nose at least, but who knows what else? I can't explain what it is about her, though. It just works.

12. ADodgen

ADodgen Member

At first, I didn't like the movie and was quite disappointed. Now, I have to say that GC was incredible, and the jury's still out on the ending.

Draft saved Draft deleted