1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Unlisted players on a roster

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Nov 14, 2007.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Why does it always seem that when photographers get reaction shots at the end of a tournament game, one of the kids in the photo is invariably somebody who is not listed on the roster, like a JV callup?
    This evening, I got a call from a photographer who was at a different tournament soccer game than the one I covered, asking if I knew which kid was wearing a certain number. Unfortunately, I couldn't help him. I was at a different game 60 miles away (They were both state semifinals and I wasn't about to send a stringer 60 miles in rush hour traffic. I also had to help out another paper in my company with the game I covered). I had a stringer at the game he shot and the roster I had with me did not have anyone wearing that number on it, either. I didn't know what to tell him, though I'm sure it was somehow my responsibility to have the information he sought and to have figured out a way to be at both games.
    To be honest, and I know this doesn't say anything good about me, if the kid in question didn't score a goal or do anything of note in the game, I probably wouldn't have thought to get his number either.
    I guess the take-home lessons here are make sure you're at the game your photographer is shooting and always ask if there are any changes on the roster because even if the kid doesn't play, you'll never know if you might need to know who he is.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I know I'm probably going to be hammered for this, but I've been spoiled by working with three very, very good photographers in my short lifetime.
    The photog should have found out who the kid was before he took off. A reporter wouldn't interview someone without knowing who it is. Yes, there are exceptions, but a game reaction shot is rarely it.
    I can't think of a single game I've covered where a roster was 100 percent perfect anyway.

3. John

John Well-Known Member

Can't someone call a coach and, you know, ask him or who the player is?

4. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

It drive me freaking nuts when photogs hand in photos and throw a roster at us. Sometimes you can't even see the numbers. If I'm in a really shitty mood, I'll say, "I didn't tell you to bring me a roster, I told you to bring me IDs."
    Some of the stringers do the same thing. When I was more involved in preps, I'd tell them point blank, you have to know who the players are you're writing about. And them not being on the roster is no excuse.

5. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

It's great when they give you shots of wrestlers who have their backs to the camera and say, "You know who this guy is, right?"

No, you twink. First of all, I don't fucking cover wrestling. Second of all, I couldn't point the dude out by his fucking seat. Third of all, you're a fucking moron.

Not like that's ever happened to me before or anything. ...

6. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

What ... you can't tell the 171 kid versus the 189? Sheesh. You might as well quit!

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't take pictures. i don't worry about this issue.

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

If she knew the weight class, I may have had half a chance. Fifteen minutes before deadline, I told her to suck my nuts ... or something close to that.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

sounds like 141 to me.

10. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

I have a lot of respect for photogs, because I have no eye for a good picture, but getting accurate information (such as a person's name) for the cutline is half the battle...

That's like me opening with a great quote, but not being able to identify who said it.

Tracking down little details like No. 33's name should be a given when you're out doing your job.

11. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My fav was having my photog tell me the wrong name TWICE in the same season while I was writing the cutline. There are only two black athletes in the entire school, and twice on deadline he gave me the wrong name of the wrong kid (both are running backs)....

Made us look pretty bad, like in the "the paper must think "they" all look alike" way

12. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Actually, looking back on it, I think one of the kids' classes was 171 and the other was 215. But it wasn't 141, for that weight class didn't exist in that state at the time.

Sorry, Mr. Petty.

Draft saved Draft deleted