1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

University of Phoenix to be put on probation

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Captain Obvious, Mar 2, 2013.

1. The for-profit higher education giant expects to be but on probation by its accreditating body due to governance issues, plus concerns with graduation rates and reliance on federal financial aid. Those who have degrees from there might have to regret their college choice.

http://chronicle.com/article/U-of-Phoenix-Expects/137565/

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Knock me over with a feather.

3. Just say Michigan.

http://www.hulu.com/watch/101506

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Saw this the other day. Big issue is independence (re: governance) of university proper from its corporate parent. Lots of schadenfreude among posters on the Chronicle of Higher Education website.

In general I would point out that probation isn't a death sentence -- c.f., Auburn ca. 2004 -- but I think it might be harbinger of more troubles if we are dealing with a for-profit.

5. dooley_womack1

Oh, it'll rise from the ashes.

6. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

My son in law got a two-year degree in computer repair and IT from a career college. Promised him the sun, moon and the stars in regards to job placement (even at the time he started, when the economy was really in the tank, in 2010). After he finished, he went back for the job placement part of it. They told him to go to two web sites that didn't yield anything, and gave him 10 minutes of advice on his resume. Since then, he can't even get them to schedule an appointment. Their attitude: we've got the bucks from the VA for your two years (he was in the Navy for eight years) and we don't give a shit.

8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

If it was the NCAA, it would be curtains for Trucker Training Institute.

9. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Sadly, it sounds like a lot of four-year (or should that really be six-year?) liberal arts universities.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The HLCNCACS is so mad at U. of Phoenix it's going to give Yuma State two more years probation.

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Does this mean the Cardinals will need to rename their stadium?

12. dooley_womack1

Yeah, it'll be the DeVry Dome

Draft saved Draft deleted